1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2011-12 College Basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Nov 7, 2011.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Last year, Southern Miss lost three games on 3-pointers at the buzzer, finished 22-10 and didn't even get an NIT sniff (they turned down the CBI, CIT and all other alphabet tournaments).

This year, in the last two weeks alone, they beat Tulsa after hitting a trey at the buzzer in regulation to send it to OT and beat Rice tonight 58-56 when they had guy get fouled with 0.6 seconds to play. He made the free throws for the win to stop a two-game skid.

Unless they just completely shit the bed in the next two weeks, they'll be in the NCAA Tournament with an undersized, undermanned team of overachievers. Larry Eustachy probably won't get many votes for national Coach of the Year, but there aren't many coaches who've done more with less this season.

2. PressRowsNotSafe

PressRowsNotSafe New Member

I'm curious as to what some of you outside the Big 10 country think what some of the conference's top seeds deserve and/or get? Also host a radio show so frequently bombarded with fans wearing Michigan blinders thinking that team is the greatest thing ever.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I didn't watch the game, but 52 fouls were called and 75 free throws were shot in the VCU/Mason game. What the fuck?

4. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

48 of those free throws came in the last nine minutes of the game. Game lasted 2:30, at least, and it was only competitive for about 20 minutes.

This is not a rare occurrence in the CAA, especially on Saturdays when the conference's games get the dregs of the officiating world.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Eight straight Big 12 championships for Kansas. Incredible.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Speaking of horrific officiating......JUCO conference out here is notorious for having a couple of really good officials, and a whole bunch of really bad ones.

Last night was as bad as it got. I mean BAD both ways. BOTH coaches were basically begging to get at least one T.

One coach even went to the point of telling him "Listen.......you know you're not going to tee anyone up......you're not even going to blow the damn whistle......you're just out here to collect a check, and that's it."

It was embarassing.

7. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Tampa Bay Times Forum

Hey, wanna know why I love watching games at the Tampa Bay Times Forum?

Tampa Bay Times Forum

It's the incessant need

Tampa Bay Times Forum

For this arena to remind you

Tampa Bay Times Forum

Of their sponsor, Tampa Bay Times.

Tampa Bay Times Forum

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I'm late on this - been away from the board - but this episode chaps my ass so I have to comment.

The thing that gets me the most is Lamar was picked to finish third in its division in its league and even after the loss that brought on the rant, they were second in said division with a 17-11 record that they should be happy with. Yet he says these guys are "stealing" their scholarships?

And he got his ass kicked that day by a coach with something like 417 college wins, probably a hell of a lot more than Knight ever will. He's had a lot of teams that have made a lot of opponents shoot poorly and look lethargic. Instead of ripping your players who have exceeded expectations this year, how about tipping your cap to the coach who kicked your ass you arrogant little sumbitch.

9. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Ohio State sure looks like the kinda team with "early exit" written all over them. They defend well and have some real talent, but there's something missing. Not just the obvious (not proficient with the 3 ball, Sullinger regressing offensively), but that intangible "thing" that great teams have. Heart, killer instinct....whatever you call it. Unless a switch flips soon, there's no way they make it out of the 1st weekend...

10. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Or maybe Ohio State and Vanderbilt will meet in a Final Four game matching two talented teams that didn't figure it out until the post season.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Kansas polishes off its eighth straight Big 12 championship tonight.

Eight major conference titles in a row. Amazing.

12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Texas Tech scored 15 in the first half en route to a 77-48 loss at Baylor. Red Raiders looked horrible. I was hoping Gillispie was going to go off on the crappy senior class that Pat Knight left him.

Draft saved Draft deleted