1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2010 Masters thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Devil, I'm not going to pile on you, although your lack of reading comprehension certainly gives me license to do so.

Find where in my post I said anything about that shot on 13. Go ahead, take your time.

You back after that snipe hunt? Good. Now, find where I pointed out that Mickelson is guilty of judgment lapses from time to time. That should take you far less time and bear far more fruit.

Look, I had a front-row seat for one of Mickelson's brain farts: the '07 Nissan Open, when -- clinging to a one-shot lead over Charles Howell III on the 72nd hole -- he tried to gorilla an 8-iron from 183 yards off a sidehill lie; the ball nestled in Riviera's kikuyu rough that is akin to hitting out of barbed wire.

Mickelson bogeyed the hole, then lost the playoff to Chuckie Three Sticks. It prevented him from doing something that Hogan, Corey Pavin, Freddie Couples and certainly not Tiger "I've never won at Riviera" Woods never did -- three-peating at Riviera. That's because he won the next two years.

If you re-read my post, my original point stands: Phil Mickelson may have his brain-lock moments. He may attempt shots that defy logic and sense -- and didn't we marvel at Seve Ballesteros for doing the very same thing? But outside of one crazy June day in 2006, he is anything but a choke artist in major championships.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The Masters and the US Open are inherently different beasts. The US Open is a tournament that simply must be survived. The Masters is a tournament that -- as long as the weather isn't shitty, like it was when Zach Johnson prevailed -- must be taken.

The accessible pin placements and short par 5's demand to be taken advantage of. If you don't, someone else surely will.

Phil's shot on 13 was spectacular, no doubt, but really, any one of us who plays golf could have hit the ball through those trees. I'm not saying we'd knock it on the green, but hitting the ball through the trees wasn't the issue on that shot. He thought the lie was clean enough to have a go, so he did. That's how the Masters is won. That's how the boys in the green jackets want the Masters to be won. And that's why it's the best tournament of the year.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Great commentary by Nantz. Except for one thing: Where have you been since 1997, Jim? Your timing here is just a little suspect.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Nice name calling.

I thought that was a huge gamble on the back nine of a Major.

But I am a moron and a looser, so what do I know?

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

So you're saying I should have used the blue font?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That is pretty funny. It's not like Nantz doesn't have a forum to express this opinion.

And like TwoGloves said, did this just occur to him, or is he now willing to kick Tiger while he's down?

BTW: What's the, "one-word phrase generally considered to be sacrilegious?"

Did he say, "Christ!" like it's a curse word?

Also, did Francesa address Nantz by some insider nickname to make sure we all know how tight Mike is with him?

Draft saved Draft deleted