1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Apr 6, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Huet is a streaky goalie.

In the East there's only one guy who you can rely on in net: Brodeur.

Other than Marty, the rest of 'em are either untested in the playoffs (Price) or a question mark in general (both of Ottawa's, Thomas).

Everyone talks about Ovechkin/Crosby but don't blink or you'll miss the Devils in the Final.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Games are scheduled at the same time for the Caps AND the Nats. You think they'd look, maybe play one opposite the baseball in that town? I was going to go from the yard to the rink but am now forced to choose (no choice, actually. The Yard with my XM in tow)

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You're choosing a baseball game in the first three weeks of the season over a hockey playoff game?????

No wonder hockey ratings suck in the US.

4. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Of course, SJ's biggest nanny fan is thrilled that the schedule worked out so that the Rangers-Devils series won't foul up my Tuesday viewing pleasure. ;D

Time to raise another banner ... 14 years is long enough. But Lundquist is gonna need to stand on his head for that to happen. Do like the opening-round chances, tho, Shirts were one shot away from being 8-0 against Jersey this season.

[​IMG]

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Or more likely, the baseball game is one of his tickets in his season ticket package (already paid for). And the hockey game would be paid extra out of his pocket.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

So sell/give away the baseball tickets and go see the Caps.

Hell, they may only last one round. :)

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Caps are going to beat the Flyers.

Caps are 9-1 in their last ten. I think you can draw an analogy between this edition of the Caps and the 2007 Rockies. Both teams got hot late in the season, carried by a superstar. There's no reason why the Caps can't get to the Cup Final.

8. The Original Six geek in me would LOVE for Habs-Bruins to go 7, but Star Jones has a better chance of finding a straight man than that happening. That said, here are my expert picks

East 1st round

Montreal 4, Boston 1

NJ 4, New York 3

Pittsburgh 4, Ottawa 2

Washington 4, Philadelphia 3

West 1st round

Detroit 4, Nashville 1

San Jose 4, Calgary 2

Colorado 4, Minnesota 1

Anaheim 4, Dallas 2

East 2nd round

Montreal 4, New Jersey 3

Pittsburgh 4, Washington 2

West 2nd round

Detroit 4, Anaheim 3

Colorado 4, San Jose 3

Conference Finals

Montreal 4, Pittsburgh 3

Detroit 4, Colorado 2

Stanley Cup finals

Montreal 4, Detroit 3

*truth is I'm an Avs fanboy, but I think the Canadiens can and will win their first cup in 15 years.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

quote author=hockeybeat link=topic=54876.msg1752401#msg1752401 date=1207597694]
    Caps are going to beat the Flyers.

Caps are 9-1 in their last ten. I think you can draw an analogy between this edition of the Caps and the 2007 Rockies. Both teams got hot late in the season, carried by a superstar. There's no reason why the Caps can't get to the Cup Final.
    [/quote]

I'm sure the Caps will beat the Flyers--I just posted that "one round" stuff to get people's attention. Thanks for playing, HB. :)

Hm, I wouldn't bet against the Habs going to the Final.

Second round: Montreal vs Rangers and Pittsburgh and the Caps.

Conference final : Montreal and Caps.

Habs in six.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I guess since everyone's making their playoff picks, I'll make mine as well.

First round
    Second Round
    Montreal in seven. --> Best series of the playoffs
    Washington in six.
    Detroit in six.
    San Jose in six.

Third round
    Montreal in six.
    San Jose in seven.

Stanley Cup Final
    Montreal in seven.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

12. Pittsburgh and Montreal are the only two teams worth going to the Finals from the East. I don't think the other teams could handle a matchup with Anaheim, San Jose or Detroit.

Draft saved Draft deleted