1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2008 NHL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Isn't the Atlanta job still open?

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yes. But asking Thrashers management to do anything intelligent is a stretch. You know that, GBH.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Far as I know ... I thought I read somewhere there were 10 jobs for which Burns was under consideration.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Just out of curiosity, what is his current status with cancer? All I had ever heard was that it was in remission. Has he been completely cleared of it and if so for how long? How much is health concerns holding him back from getting another coaching position. I personally would love to see him back in the game.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Worst city in New England.

I love me some Whalers though.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Anyone have any idea of what the Kings will be doing this offseason? Typical incompetence, I suppose.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Apparently shopping No. 2 pick overall, but as long as they stay in the top say 6 or 7 seven they should still be able to get a stud defenceman. Beyond that I'm not sure what else.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Stating the obvious: Draft is at 7:00 pm EST on Friday the 20th.

Stamkos first, then a bunch of defensemen, then, well, Cody Hodgson

9. Flash

Flash Guest

From a May 27 SI report on possible coaching changes:

The best coaching resume belongs to Pat Burns, who boasts more than 1,000 games of NHL head coaching experience, three Jack Adams awards and one Stanley Cup. But the former steward of the Habs, Bruins, Leafs and Devils is burdened by the concern that comes from his pair of bouts with cancer. Just 56, Burns has slowly worked his way back into the game, scouting for the Devils and serving as an assistant coach with Canada at the world championships. But even with the disease in remission, a team would be taking a big chance. The stress on both his physical and mental well-being would be considerable, but Burns has always been a battler. And it's that very quality that should have him high on the wish lists of San Jose and Ottawa.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/allan_muir/05/27/coaching.candidates/

10. Flash

Flash Guest

What's the site you posted in the other thread? That will be a good one to follow on Friday.

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Pat Burns is the man. Being around him quite a bit during my younger years (father held season tickets to the Bruins and I went to countless practices and functions)...the dude definitely has a unique presence. Best of luck to him.

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Isn't Stamkos supposed to be a big time stud? Is he a notch below Sid when he entered the league?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.