1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2008 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Jun 24, 2008.

1. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Yeah. That's probably what I meant.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Rose shot 71.2 percent at the line during the entire season. He shot 77.2 percent (34 for 44) from the line during the tournament. I don't see where that 6 percent is enough to dramatically increase his scoring in the tournament compared to the regular season. It's not like he shot 90 percent. On average he made two more free throws per game in the tournament than he did in the regular season.

Won't argue with Beasley being a great player, because he is. I simply think both will turn out just fine.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Heat would be insane to take Mayo over Rose or Beasley or even trade the pick. Mayo's going to be very good, but he's clearly not in the top tier of the first two.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Only if your concept of history is since the year 2000.

5. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Not sure how much you buy into Hollinger, but according to his defensive efficiency measurement, the Celtics had one of the largest defensive efficiency margins since 1972-73.

So I would say one of the best of all-time is a somewhat accurate statement. If you don't buy into his formula, then you probably disagree.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Spnited doesn't buy into anything that requires a formula.

I don't understand why Miami is dithering about the No.2 pick. Surely the way forward for them, even if they're not sold on Beasley, is to take him, and get the best package possible for him from someone who is.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Who the hell is Hollinger and why should I buy into any formula he or some other stat geek invented?

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Defense wins championships in every sport.

I don't get why anyone would discount it.

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

The Celtics had a damn good defensive team. Saying they were one of the best of all time might be a bit much, though.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Told you.

11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

If I had to guess right now, the people in this draft who will be:

Hall of Famers:
    Mayo, Beasley

Good, multiple-time all-stars:
    Gordon, Rose, Rush, Bill Walker (my surprise pick)

Serviceable starters, reserves:
    Douglas-Roberts, B. Lopez, Bayless, Westbrook, Love, Gallinari, Koufos, multiple others

Busts (out of the league in a few years):
    Augustin, R. Lopez, Hibbert, Alexander, Jordan, Speights, Ibaka

Of course, I base all this on complete speculation. I'm about as far from an expert as you could get. But still, it's fun to speculate.

12. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

Everything I hear is that Riley is down on Beasley and is trying to trade down so he can get Mayo or Bayless.

Draft saved Draft deleted