1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2006 World Series Of Poker Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Satchel Pooch, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Frankenberry

Frankenberry New Member

The Rock-Paper-Scissors is pointless to watch. Guess they've gotta kill time somehow.

2. Frankenberry

Frankenberry New Member

And I'm ready to go to bed. But I wanna see somebody get knocked out. It needs to happen quick. I'M TIRED.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I, too, am tired but want to at least see someone knocked out.

As a side note (and they Gordon and Co. are also noting), I'm a bit mystified as to why so many of these guys are showing their hands when they don't get a call. Unless they're trying to set up someone and only showing hands when they don't do what they normally do, there's no sense in it, and certainly no reward in it.

4. Frankenberry

Frankenberry New Member

Yeah, at this point they should have a pretty good idea how all these guys are playing. There's no reason to show. I like Allen Cunningham. It would be an amazing comeback, but if there's anyone there that could do it, it's him.

5. Frankenberry

Frankenberry New Member

And Rhett Butler is gone. I'd take 3+ million payday.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Rhett Butler is gone with the wind.  And nobody gives a damn.

Cunningham is now the short stack.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And now that we have an elimination, I can go to bed. G'Night all.

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Cunningham out in 4th. Got his chips in with pocket 10's. Gold called him with KJ, flopped the king and that was that.

Gold has bullied the table and gotten lucky when he's had a large piece of his stack at risk. Looks like another fluke WSOP champ.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Who else is left then? And are they still playing now?

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If they keep with standard Main Event rules, the final table plays until there's a champion -- with brief restroom breaks, and longer meal breaks thrown in.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wonder how many cardboard boxes it took to carry $12M to the table?

[​IMG]

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I quit watching a few minutes after Cunningham went out. Gold was so dominant, it was obvious what was going to happen.

Congrats to Gold, but he will never win another tournament. It seems like he bluffed A LOT -- something that was pretty easy for me to figure out watching, but apparently not so easy for the guys at the table to call him on. But once the pros see on ESPN how he was playing, they will eat him alive.

Another thing Gold does, which was getting annoying to me, was his table talk. Any big hand where there was an important decision for Gold's opponent on the river, Gold was essentially telling his opponents what he had. And somehow he got them to fold better hands just about every time.

But for now, he is the world champ.

Draft saved Draft deleted