1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2006 World Series Of Poker Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Satchel Pooch, Jul 26, 2006.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hellmuth (or most good pros) wouldn't commit all their chips in the Main Event on first-hand pocket aces.

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

If some donkey goes all-in pre flop and you look down and see pocket aces, you or Phil Hellmuth or anyone else in the world is going to call whether it's the first hand or the 10,000th.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I can dream.

I just don't care for the temper tantrums and trash talking. He and Matusow are two of my least favorite players. I prefer players like Ferguson, Ivey, Greenstein and Farha.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Speaking of the Poker Brat, several Web sites are reporting he's slated to appear on the next season of VH1's "The Surreal Life."

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I still disagree on the first hand. The Main Event is a marathon, and good pre-flop hands including aces will lose a LOT (and every cracked aces hand will be on tv :) ). Making the first bet and going all-in is one thing, it's an aggressive move. Calling an all-in at such an early stage is not, and that's where no great pro is going to screw up in the first two minutes of a weeklong event.

The 10,000th hand, well that's obviously different.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Wow. Sure, the Main Event is a marathon, but you've got to win some hands too and you just can't fold pocket aces. They might get cracked, sure. But if pocket aces get cracked and you're out in the first five minutes, you just have to say it's not meant to be.

7. Weekly writer

Weekly writer Member

Yea you gotta call there. The goal has to be put your chips in with the best hand, and there you obviously have it. Cant play scared thinking maybe you could get sucked out on just because its the first hand.

8. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

Did you guys see the story of that college kid (Jeff Madsen) who was staked through some of his college savings money by his parents, and won two events and finished third in another at this year's WSOP. Total winnings: $1.4 million. Great story.

BTW, you call with pocket aces pre-flop every time. Pros know they are favored at least 80-20 over any possible hand. These are gamblers. They don't pass up those odds.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How is that monkey doing?

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Hey SportsPredictor ... since you busted out my Braves for being a fraud, I want to bust your balls a little.

Predict who wins the WSOP Main Event. You do that, and I will place in my sig for a month: "Sports Predictor: The greatest sports mind this world has ever seen."

Thrill me. ;D

11. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Pocket Aces is an 81% favorite by the way over the next-best hand.

12. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I'll predict it ... it's gonna be some clown nobody has ever heard of ... like Hachem, Raymer, Moneymaker or Varkonyi. The main event is not even a poker tourney anymore. It's a lottery. It's some dumbass like Aaron Kanter going all in, being dominated, and then busting the world champ on an unspeakable two-card suck out.

And, if you have pocket aces and some dolt raises all-in pre-flop, you ALWAYS call because you know you have to survive 10-20 all-ins to win the thing anyway, you have to get the chips to play from a point of strength, the only way to get the chips is to win hands ... the only way to win hands is to get your money in while you're leading ... and this is one of the few times when you can know you are leading. Also, if you're going to lose, rockets is the hand to lose with ... you know it's just bad luck. Jennifer Harman busted out with queens full last year in, I believe, her third hand. It's a partial information game ... anytime you KNOW something, you have to act on it. When you have pocket aces, you know you have the best hand at the table.

Just a theory.

Draft saved Draft deleted