1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2006 World Series Of Poker Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Satchel Pooch, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Phil Hellmuth is going for record bracelet No. 10 right now. He has a 3-1 chip advantage with four players left in an undercard NLHE with rebuys tournament.

http://www.cardplayer.com/tournaments/live_updates/3223/10232

Main event begins Thursday. Would that I were there.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hellmuth can fuck right off. He's not half the player, nor person, that Doyle Brunson is.

I hope he's the first person out of the Main Event.

3. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

won't happen. he won't even arrive until an hour into the event.

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

My final post from home before Mrs CI and I head to Las Vegas and the start of the World Series of Poker's Main Event. Flight leaves in exactly nine hours from this post.

I am playing in the media/celebrity event on Thursday and staying until Sunday. I am writing a series of poker stories from the Rio this weekend, with most of the leg work done before the wheels even touch in Sin City. I have to interview a few pros, some Rio people and plug it into my story.
    Basically I have four stories: A main phenomenon story, a WSOP main event sider; a story about the legality of poker, tying it into our local laws, etc.; and a column from the media event and my views on the game, etc. Plus all the requisite fact boxes, and such.

Sort of a working vacation, if you will. I'll try to jump online throughout the weekend -- the Rio has wireless and I have the laptop.

Putting a fin on No.3 at the roulette wheel -- for Dale Murphy's (and Murphy the Dog's) No. 3.

Wish me luck!

P.S. -- As for Hellmuth not being half the poker player Doyle Brunson is -- well, that's just plain false. Hellmuth may be an ass at the table, but the dude can play cards. By the way: Record-tying 10th bracelet. Johnny Chan and Brunson have 10 each.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I know. But I'm hoping he'll find pocket aces on his first hand and have some Internet amateur suck out on the river to bounce him.

6. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

He's an ass, but he's pretty entertaining to watch play and to watch melt down.

7. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

HEllmuth has lost his lead by the way.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

HA-HA!

[​IMG]

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Hellmuth won No. 10.

I've never met the guy, but I really enjoy watching him play. His table soliloquoies (sp?) and his meltdowns when he gets sucked out on are great TV.

So he's a horse's ass at the poker table. Big freaking deal. Remember, this is the game that used to lead to shooting deaths in the old West. It's not a gentleman's game.

10. Hellmuth isn't a bad guy. He plays up the image and it has worked for him in a million ($$$$$$) different ways ...

11. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Yeah, that's what it seems like.  The thing with poker now is that there are so many players, and you've got to be different in some way to stand out.  Who are the most recognized poker players?

Scotty Nguyen, Daniel Negraneau, Phil Hellmuth, Mike Matusow, Jennifer Harman, Phil Ivey, etc.?  They're all great players, but there are 100 more great players out there.  It's these handful that all stand out from the crowd because of the way they act at the table, or the way they look, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted