1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Runners on third and second or runners on second and third

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chazp, Nov 24, 2007.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

My wife just bought me one of those NY Times scrapbooks for the team of your choice. I have been reading some great old stuff, (most of it starts in the 1920s and runs to this decade). One of the things that stood out to me was the phrases in sports writing back then, that I don't think I hear/read anymore.
    More than once in a baseball gamer in the book, the phrase, "runners on third and second." I don't think I"ve read that anywhere before. I always seem to read, "runners on second and third."
    Does anyone write this way now? Listing the lead runner first? If it's not common now, when did this switch from listing the lead runner first? Or, since this is a NY Times book, was this just common to their paper years ago?

PS - The Book Rocks. Wow. It's very interesting stuff. Buy one, you'll love it.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Yeah, and the high school gamers probably read something like this:

"The first-base position was manned by Smith, who made 17 put-outs in the base-ball game."

Draft saved Draft deleted