1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Runaway slave"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Some smart voices here:

http://www.salon.com/news/lebron_james/index.html?story=/opinion/walsh/misc/2010/07/12/jesse_jackson_v_dan_gilbert

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Some newspaper editors do. Haven't any of us received the "calling" speech, or some other analogous guilt trip about leaving for greener pastures?

3. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

If Jesse Jackson really cares about the unfortunate outcomes that come out of professional sports' curious economics, then he should be snooping around AAU clubs/boosters/shoe company clinics and the like.

As is, he's shilling for an outrageously rich and spoiled brat, and the analogy is laughable in its ham-fistedness. Tell you what, Jesse- let's say you're right. I'll take LeBron's slavedom and he can take my 9-to-5. He's certainly getting the better of the deal, no?

4. Dick Whitman

OK, he won the genetic lottery. But that's all luck has to do with this. It seems like there's some resentment about LeBron James - or any athlete - getting paid to do their job. Like they should shut up and work and thank their lucky stars that they have that job. But they have the rare talent and skill level to deserve a job for which very, very few people are qualified. And they get paid market rate for that. As such, he should be able to work anywhere he desires, just like the rest of us, so long as it is within the confines collectively bargained by the union which represents him.

5. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

I don't have any problem with LeBron James making a mint to play with a ball. I do have a problem with Jesse Jackson whipping out the "slavery" concept when, if he truly gave a shit, he'd invest time and energy analyzing and criticizing the food chain that leads up to the NBA.

As is, he's just being a LeBron hanger-on and should be addressed as such.

And my point still stands. If being a professional basketball player is the affront to man's freedom that Jesse Jackson alleges, then he should encourage LeBron James to change jobs, salaries, and lives with me personally.

6. Dick Whitman

Do we know that he hasn't? I have no idea. Just asking.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I believe that Jackson's point was not that all basketball players have a problem are "slaves"; I don't think that he was even saying that LeBron was feeling like he was. He's just calling out Gilbert for the thoughts he put out.

Heard Stephen A. Smith on the radio yesterday, and thought I find him to be a bombastic windbag most of the time, I give him credit because he was saying this was, for now, an isolated incident focused solely on Gilbert's actions, not calling into question all NBA owners, or all business owners. Let's keep the discussion on that level and I agree.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Race and money do not mix. No matter how much money LeBron has, there will always be someone to call him the N-Word. That's something that I heard Don King say many times (not about LeBron but about other African American athletes).
    You have a young owner who felt that he was jilted. I feel for him. Did he go overboard? Yes. Did LeBron go overboard? Yes. Should Jesse shut the fuck up? Yes.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Does anyone take Jesse seriously anymore?

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yes. David Stern and many others. He still has clout.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What has Jesse ever said or done to make him an expert on anything? Honestly, I don't know. I just hear his name passed around like he's someone important. At least Bill Clinton can claim to be a former president.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Its easy to rip on Jesse now but whatever your politics, he was a forceful speaker for civil rights who was there with MLK when you stood a good chance of getting lynched or shot. Yeah he may come across as a bit like Al Sharpton now, but I believe I have to respect him for what he did.

Its kind of like a police officer, soldier or firefighter, I respect that those people put their life on the line and I have had the privilege of never having to do so. As a result of the Rev.'s sacrifices, the Civil Rights Act was passed and civil rights for all racial minorities was recognized. Was he the sole reason? Obviously not, but he was a part of it. And he spoke at my commencement and he was a very powerful/charismatic orator.

Draft saved Draft deleted