1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Runaway slave"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 12, 2010.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Rev. Jackson needs a can of STFU.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Even if it is "slave-owner mentality," it is not necessarily racist or race-dependent.

For example, didn't Harry Frazee sell Babe Ruth to the Yankees?

Didn't the Marlins sell off most of their best players following the World Series?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Remember this?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. printdust

printdust New Member

I wonder if the Rev. Jackson would have spouted off had his home for all these years been Cleveland and not Chicago.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

LeBron James rejected Dan Gilbert's $128 million to play a game. Along with that $128 million, comes the ancillary benefit of first-class travel, five-star hotels, VIP status at clubs, millions more in endorsements and countless other spoils. The "runaway slave" comment makes perfect sense to me.

Jesse Jackson is an idiot.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If some of the stories in recent days turn out to be true -- that there's been a deal in place with James, Wade and Bosh to play in Miami since 2008 or 2006 -- then the word "traitor" might actually be apt because he would've had one foot out the door for quite some time now.

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

It draws attention to Jesse Jackson, which seems to be his favorite cause.

8. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

What's it say about Jackson that he's reduced to dropping "slave" on a guy who just had his own ESPN special and will ink a $100 million deal.

9. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I think any descendants of slaves and anyone offended by slavery should be appalled at Jackson's comments. Jackson did, in the past, do many great things for Civil Rights, and it's a shame to see him sink to this level of attention-whoring.

Gilbert was pissed at what he saw as a slap in the face by LeBron, so he reacted. Hell, he would have done anything to keep LeBron, so who was the master in that relationship? If anything, Gilbert was wrong for allowing LeBron as much leverage as he had. And Jackson should be embarrassed and apologize profusely for making such an offensive comparison.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I give LeBron credit for not responding to Gilbert, he knows he's in the right and he's letting the others carry the work for him. Why engage the guy? Better to let it die on deaf ears. Smart.

I understand where Jackson is coming from, he's calling out Gilbert for his arrogant views and the "ownership" mentality. Jackson's just trying to keep the message alive.

Yes its not true slavery, but looking solely at how much LeBron was making is not a true analysis, Jackson is saying look at the other side of the ledger as well. While LeBron made say $50-75M from the Cavs, how much did Gilbert benefit? Sure the Cavs would have loved to pay LeBron $120M because over the span of those 6 seasons I have little doubt that over the same time period he would have generated over $1B in revenues for the Cavs.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And I made $30,000 last year while my writing efforts made for my employer, in part, well into seven or eight figures.
    The guy who pays the counterworker at McDonald's $7 an hour probably makes 10 times that for himself in an average shift.
    The Wall Street stockbroker making $1 million a year for his investment bank helps make that bank a billion-dollar company.
    It's called business. The guy who owns the building and writes the check makes more than the clock-puncher, no matter how well-paid the clock-puncher is. It's the way the world works. You want to continue the analogy, how many people work for LeBron James? Does that make him a slavemaster, too?

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

JJ is a race-baiting publicity whore who is arguably the most successful shakedown artist of modern times.

Draft saved Draft deleted