1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Run-on sentences, time/date/place addition

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by farmerjerome, Nov 12, 2006.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Okay, this has driven me nuts in for the past six years.

After every high school sectional win, you have to put the time/date/place of the next game, as well as the opponent and name of the tournament (example, District V, Class AAAAA).
    Most of the time it's gotta go in the first couple of grafs.

Is there anyway to get this info in without:

A. Breaking the rythym (sp) of the story.

B. Creating a sentence that is about 200 words by the time you're done.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Not really just say, "With the victory, Podunk High advances to ... and will face Bumfuck Central."

3. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

A good place to get information in is the first quote.

By JIMMY DEAN
    Record Staff Writer
    Hometown High entered its district quarterfinal showdown against Eastside High knowing it needed to get off to a quick start if it hoped to keep its dream season alive.
    It did. And then some.
    The Colts scored four touchdowns on their first four possessions then hung on for a wild 31-30 win over the Blazers Monday night.
    "We played a great game," said Hometown High coach John Doe, whose Wildcats advance to face Crosstown High in the Class 4A, District 7 quarterfinals Friday. "We gave 110 percent."

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Another option is to put the info in a box on the front. Maybe put a helmet there, just to spice things up.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Damn, sometimes it's just too easy.

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Exactly, since it was a jab at the long-ago thread that mentioned using helmets instead of logos.

7. farmerjerome

I've always been a fan of info boxes. That way people see it right off, and if they're retarded you can always throw it in at the end.

We did a helmet with a state championship team a few years ago. Except the helmet looked like an egg.

Kinda stupid, but I'm all for graphics.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Careful, fj ... you're treading into dangerous territory. ;D

9. farmerjerome

I'm not scared, I only visit this board once every couple of months.

BTW, how do you guys feel about photo pages? I used to really like them, but the ones we've been running lately look like a bunch of pics fit together on a page.

Designers, any layout tips?

Keep in mind that I'm not a designer, and I'm down to writing once or twice a week. Read: I'm a little rusty.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

When I do photo spreads, I like to overlay some photos on top of each other. It gives it a layered effect. Tie it in with a good deck head that fits the spread, and that's all there is to it.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'd help, but I honestly think you might get better insight from DyePack ... he loves him some picture pages ...

12. GoDeacs

GoDeacs New Member

Why do you even have to say, "With the victory ...?" The loser doesn't advance.

As you probably can tell, I'm a copy editor and I've seen "with the victory" far too many times. And it gets deleted every time, yet still the same reporters keep recycling that worthless, space-killing phrase over and over and over ...

Draft saved Draft deleted