1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rum

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr7134, Oct 23, 2010.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Never bought any, but have had a couple of glasses at bars. Pretty good stuff, but it's overrated, I think.

I bought a bottle of Jefferson's Presidential 18. Pretty damn good stuff. I think I prefer it over Blanton's. At just under a Benjamin, though, I can afford only one a year.

2. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I've heard really good things about Kraken. Haven't had, but that'll change soon enough.

3. I like the Captain Morgan 100 proof, but I'm willing to give Sailor Jerry's and Kraken a shot next time I'm at the liquor store.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

No, walk.

Oh, wait, RUM...nevermind.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Kraken to me seems like a marketing gimic given that it's likely derived from the success of Pirates of The Caribbean.

Give me the tried and true Mount Gay rum since 1703.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I'm sure there's some marketing involved but as black rums go, it's hard to beat and it's a hell of a good deal (20 bucks for a 750ml around here, often on sale for 17).

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

On the advice of this thread, I bought a bottle of Sailor Jerry last night and like it nicely. Nice vanilla flavors.

8. Dark_Knight

Dark_Knight Member

Rum>Vodka. Nothing like a good Rum and coke after a long day in the office.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Mount Gay started making this "1703 Old Cask Selection" about three years ago. You can find it for about $85. When it first came out it ran about $125.

http://www.luxist.com/2009/04/10/tasting-the-mount-gay-1703-rum/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Sailor Jerry sneaks up on you. "Hey, that's pretty good. I'll have some more. I'll have some more. I'll have some more."
    Then BAM! You go from zero to trashed in a couple of seconds.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Agreed. That extra 6% (it's 92 proof) really hits hard. And it's even smoother than Captain Morgan.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've had some but find the base version so pleasing that it's not worth the extra money.

As a side bar the Mount Gay red baseball cap is one of the hardest "give me " caps to get in the world.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted