1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rum

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr7134, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Rum is never a good idea. It might seem like it is at the time. Trust me, it's not.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Blackbeard?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Bullshit. It's always a good idea. Even when it may start to seem like a bad idea, it can often be a good idea.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with butter rum life savers

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I gave up on the captain after they started over marketing. Now a Sailor Jerry's fan.

Don't confuse that with Admiral Nelson...ugh

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Not a rum girl. But vodka and gin? Yes, please.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Rum is good. So is vodka.

My guilty pleasure is amarula from south africa. If you can find it.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I never cared for rum until a friend hipped me to the difference between good rum and the modern American approach to rum, which is mostly as a sweet-neutral mixer.
    I've had some rum I thought was really good. Although I didn't pay attention to get the brand names.
    However, the price isn't in line. It never is with liquor, for the most part.
    For example, I drink bourbon, and I'm not rich.
    Therefore:
    Turkey is 50 percent better than Beam but only 10-15 percent more expensive = good
    Knob Creek (which I really love), Woodford and some others are 10-15 percent better than Turkey but 30-50 percent more expensive = not worth the cost
    There are better bourbons, but there not in my price range.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ah rum, what would the slave trade have been without it?

10. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

i'll second whoever said something about good rum. if you get something like appleton reserve and drink it straight (or rocks) it tastes more like scotch than what we normally think of as rum.

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

The best bourbon is Maker's Mark. Doesn't have the burn of others, that use rye wheat, because they use soft red winter wheat.

Plus, Maker's Mark has the best grounds and tour.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

My wife bought me a bottle of Appleton when we started dating, that was 24 years ago. I still have it, unopened

Draft saved Draft deleted