1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R'uh r'oh, Penguins fans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So are a lot of other people who don't know about hockey, don't care about hockey across that region. Some papers don't even run NHL capsules, only the NHL standings. Drives me nuts.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Meh.

I'm knowingly the only member of PittsburghSportsJournalists.com to not care what happens to the Pens, either way.

Hockey has never been my cup of tea. Not to mention a lousy sport for television. And given my salary, a ticket to Mellon Arena is as likely as getting that Hummer Escalade I've always wanted.

I'm just wondering what John Steigerwald will do if they bolt. After all, he'd rather see the Steelers leave down. :eek: :eek: :eek:

3. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

That asshole Rendell is still spinning that he thinks a deal is almost done ....

http://postgazette.com/pg/07065/767234-100.stm

4. If this is Philadelphia, the deal was completed in 2005.

Since Pittsburgh is not, Rendell is going to be a hardass and play the PR game.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

What are they supposed to say Oz? "Go away NHL?" :)

I used to love, absolutely love, hockey. Went to 20-25 Blades games a year, rooted like heck for the San Jose Sharks, but along the way, the Blades lost their affiliation and players switched teams frequently. It was tough to keep up. Lost almost all interest by 1998.

6. Garner

Garner Member

Wow, I would have had money on Cinnsinatti. Followed up by Albikerky and Jewno.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

As Lupica says -- look at me, quoting Loopie! -- there are 20,000 hockey fans in every town that has a team, and they're all in the building on game night.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And he stole that thought which was originally made about the Chicago Black Hawks circa 1970.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Don't get too cocky, Kansas City. Las Vegas and Houston will soon be talking with the Penguins, too.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07066/767364-53.stm

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Goes back earlier than that. When NY had seven dailies, someone was talking about the minimal hockey coverage and said, "There are 16,000 Rangers fans, and they all have season tickets."

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Smasher,
    Got it.
    Ok, name the seven dailies. :)

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Well, we're several hours into a meeting that all seem to agree will decide where the Pens play next year.

Draft saved Draft deleted