1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Royals revoke credentials - UPDATED AGAIN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Re: Royals revoke credentials

As a show of solidarity, I will run a partial score in today's baseball roundup: Tampa Bay 5.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I don't know. I'd kind of like to see what you guys could do with 6 people covering the Chiefs.

3. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

Great line.

As good as a couple years ago, when Adu wasn't playing for DC United and Kornheiser said it was false advertising. Wilbon said, "If Adu doesn't start, I'm going to start something."

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Apparently the Royals are like a car wreck - the media can't stay away.

This was attached to the beginning of the gamer on the Morris "wire" today.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

What is this thing you call the NBA Finals? I am not familiar...
    On the Royals, I just think it is interesting that while the Glasses are being trashed, they have a reputation for being good to print media.
    They may have read the tea leaves wrong, thinking that by smacking around the radio folks, they'd buy some points with print folks. And, while no one will admit it, they just might have.
    Anyway, while the younger Glass won the genetic lottery, the elder Glass didn't. You don't get to be a billionaire by being a big dummy and, I would think, he has a method to his madness.
    I don't quite see it, but I'm not in KC every day. Not reading the Star and listening to the radio.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Don't feel bad, neither are most people in Kansas City. ;D

7. beardown

beardown Member

Talk about the world's biggest contradition. Glass plows all competition into the ground while driving Wal-Mart to ungodly profit margin. Glass then targets baseball and wants it to share the wealth because his small-market team can't compete.

People finally are criticizing and asking tough questions, and then the Glasses pull their credentials? What the hell would they have done in Chicago or New York? Pull Mariotti's credential?

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That's a good point. The Glasses should be feeling more and more uncomfortable because the public isn't being fooled by their small-market whine anymore. Regardless of market size, they've become the poster boys for management incompetence in baseball. McClatchey is the only one giving them a run for their money at this point. Killing the messenger is usually a sure sign of desperation.

9. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Ah, the conspiracy theory. Maybe that's the Glass' intended result.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The journos will have to band together to right this wrong. Because absolutely no one outside the business gives a fat rat's ass what teams do to the media.

On a happier note, Bonds dropped his suit against the Chron guys.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wow, five pages and nobody's commented that Glass is doing them a favor by yanking their credentials because now they don't have to watch the Royals anymore...

But seriously, I can't believe KC is going to get away with this. Part of me feels bad for their PR guy because this clearly came from the top and he probably doesn't agree with it but he's the guy who has to deal with the fallout.

It'd be one thing if they were banning some mouth-breathing fanboy radio clown. It would still be a problem but guys like that don't belong in locker rooms because they just make the job harder for everybody else. Instead Glass & Son managed to find a species that I thought had gone the way of the dodo - talk radio guys who are acutally a journalists - and banned them. Nice job boys.

12. abcdefg

abcdefg Guest

I don't care how bad that PR flak is, calling him "Baghdad Bob" is unconscionable. People are being blown up in Baghdad these days.

I wonder why Whitlock didn't advocate some action ... it's pretty easy to bash, much harder to actually take a stand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.