1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Royals revoke credentials - UPDATED AGAIN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Nah, just business as usual. Some intelligent conversation, some random dipshits taking anonymous cheap shots, and Jason acting like a buffoon to try to get attention.

I've never understood the last - why columnists who can write intelligently with real wit are so happy to put on the clown face just to more of the spotlight.

Maybe it's just easier.

2. if i smoked -- and i don't -- i'd want whatever this dude smokes.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

You never said, did you go home to save the day or not?

4. i'll be at kauffman stadium wednesday. i'm in dallas tonight for game 6...gotta 7 a.m. flight to kc and will come back to dallas for game 7 if necessary on thursday... but will definitely be "covering" the royals wednesday and throughout the weekend.....

dwyane wade has been too good to just walk away from this series cold turkey. couldn't bring myself to do it. feel like i'm watching michael jordan all over again.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Understood...
    Glad to see you can fit saving the KC media into your schedule.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's radical to read paragraphs like these. Not because I agree or disagree. Just for the clarity of thought.

One other person here writes like this, and I've complimented him through PM.

7. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

That's not necessarily a bad thing. In making a sound argument, you have to acknowledge/address what you know to be the other side's main points. Then you shoot them down.

If the other side quoted those segments of your column out of context, it could claim you as a supporter.

Carry on.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Bruhman,

To clarify...college policy debate revolves around a topic - a problem - which the affirmative side must present a plan to change. The negative team resists this change with various arguments, including those that suggest the plan would create harm than good. Because the teams speak at astonishing (imagine an auctioneer reading detailed articles from The Economist for eight straight minutes) a typical technique is to muddle the debate by claiming one piece of evidence means two different things. You'll find a lot of political spinners do this, including Karl Rove, himself a champion high school debator. If you really want to know - really want to know - how the inside of Washington works...the lawyers and advisors and wonks behind the politicians...go to a high school debate tournament. You'll never find so much ego, intelligence, moral equivalency, and, yes raw emotion. Goes beyond sports.

Anyway, analyzing Whitlock's work I find a tendency to play both sides against the middle. It's a false objectivity that comes off instead as remarkable hubris. Whitlock's columns on race, for example, are muddled and slipshod when piecing together the various philosophies tossed on in them...one day he means this, the next he means that...eventually I am left to presume he is a bullshit artist's bullshit artist, a fabulist columnist, if you will. He'd make a pretty good TJ Simers, who I loathe for his nihilism (but at least wears cynicism) if he didn't fake idealism.

In other words, he tries to be an asshole's asshole for significance's sake when he'd be a lot more enjoyable (and palatable) working that Saturday night persona he's always using to pose to with scantily-clad women.

See, I'm the asshole's asshole, the idealist with the purest mind who thought to think, and that's my sin. But I know what I am, and he ain't it.

To his credit, of course, but also to his exposure. If he'd drop, he could certainly do away with the needless look-at-me insults.

I've said enough here. Again, the column Whitlock wrote has truth to it whatever the motivation, and hopefully others act upon it. Splitting hairs is tiresome for everybody when the cause is good enough. At least I am tired, and I am the only one splitting hairs.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh well, i guess it's clear just how full of shit you are. like we all thought you'd actually go back to kc and address one of the biggest stories to take place in that city this year when you could eat by the handful at the buffet table and fill your overflowing ego by being at the finals. somehow, i knew just how full of shit you were when you suggested you'd leave the finals and take care of biz in your own back yard.

hey tubby, did you request dane at the buffet table, and, was it comforting to suckle at shaq's teet?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My, wasn't that a well-thoughtout constructive post....

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I can't decide whether I like this Tom Petty guy or hate him.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Can't stand him. Would like to know exactly whom he has polled in Kansas City to see if this is one of the biggest stories of the year. It may be a huge issue as far as we, the journalists, are concerned. But is it a story in the fans' eyes? Or are they more concerned with the suckitude of the team?
    Jason, do what you need to do with the NBA finals. The Glasses will be waiting for you when you get back to KC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.