1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Royal Wedding - who pays?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 25, 2011.

1. I'm all for speculation, but does anyone know for a fact who's paying for the Royal Wedding?
    If I'm a British taxpayer I'd be pissed (Royally pissed) if I had to foot the bill for (Figure)head of State's wedding.

Does anyone know what the estimated cost is and who pays the bills?

Any idea what Princess Di's wedding cost?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

This should give you some idea:

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/175006.html

The Queen and Prince Philip will pay for a $600K reception, her parents will pay for her gown and other wedding threads.

The British taxpayer has been subsidizing the freeloading, dysfunctional Windsors for decades. No reason to stop now.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

To be fair, something like this provides a huge boost in tourism as all of the idiotic morning shows travel across the pond to cover it. Nevermind the Americans who have made the trip.

That should more than cover whatever the cost of this thing is.

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

5. Mizzougrad96

$48 million is a lot of coin, but the money is going back into the British economy. Once every 30+ years, I'll give them a pass.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Monarchy template would be a good one to settle things in the Middle East and Africa. All the despot leaders like Mubarak and Gadhafi should be made Kings for life with no parliamentary powers.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

It would have been unfair to make you foot the bill for the whole thing yourself, true.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Who makes the coin of the licensing of all the stupid ass products?

Why are local stations sending reporters to cover this shit? It's is moronic that the morning shows have people there for over a week but what value is there is sending a local reporter who isn't getting anywhere close to the ceremony?

I don't know anyone who cares about the wedding.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Go get a perm. It'll come up in conversation.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There was a poll that indicated only 6 percent of U.S. adults were paying a great deal of attention to the royal wedding. Six percent of U.S. adults, however, is one hell of a big number. Plenty enough to make money, grow ratings, etc. off of.

11. Mizzougrad96

The level of interest in those weddings is about a millionth of this one.

I understand this is a big deal. I don't understand why every news show feels the need to send someone there to cover it.

12. I don't beleive that.
    The wedding is invitation only. It ain't like you buy a ticket and go - so I doubt many Amercians or other Eurpoeans are going to England for the atmosphere of the wedding.
    Plus, with all the social media - I can read about the wedding as it is happening - via Twitter, and Facebook ... if I gave A: gave a crap, muchless felt like getting up at 4 a.m. to give a crap.

Draft saved Draft deleted