1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Royal Caribbean: Party on in Haiti

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Considering the smell that is mentioned over and over again by every journalist down there, I'm guessing the passengers on the ship weren't too happy.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The guy in the photo wishes he went on the golf excursion instead.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Oh, probably not. Labadee is 80 miles away from Port-au-Prince on Haiti's north coast.

It's kind of an oddity --- it's exclusively leased to Royal Caribbean, employs 300 people, allows another 200 craftsmen and artisans to sell their wares on the premises, has contributed the largest portion of Haiti's tourist revenue since the mid-1980s (including but not limited to a $6-per-tourist fee paid to the government, bringing in about 7,000 people a week, which adds up to over $2 million a year) and is completely fenced off from the rest of Haiti. Allegedly, when Royal Caribbean first opened the resort port they didn't even tell visitors they were in Haiti.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0125/p01s02-woam.html

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's pretty sad/funny.

Disney has a couple of "private islands". I guess this is their equivalent.

If it's just an empty beach, it could be just about anywhere.

6. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

Haiti's PM says the more tourists the better:
    http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Tourists+welcome+Haiti+Bellerive+says/2481994/story.html

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That story has a quote that's extremely relevant to the way this thread started:<blockquote>There was criticism earlier from some well-meaning types that it was indecent for cruise ships to continue docking at Haitian resorts untouched by the killer earthquake and tourists to frolic on beaches their beaches.

For Bellerive, such concern is sadly misguided in that the tourists inject money into the shattered Haitian economy at a most critical time and show the world that not everything in the country is devastated.</blockquote>Hondo? ... Hondo? ... Hondo?

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not kidding, this just showed up in my email:

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I want to respond:

Dear Adam:

Thank you for thinking of me. My main concern, at this time, is your obsession with the ownership and usage of the word 'Labadee®.' Perhaps if the Haitians were this diligent, they could get out of this mess...if they charged a buck every time someone made reference to Haiti®, they could probably pay for an entire water filtration plant by next Thursday. It's good to know you are closely monitoring the this trademark situation.

Also, I left pair of flipflops in the closet on my last voyage, if you find them please return, I am enclosing postage just in case.

Regards,
    21®

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'll be on a Royal Caribbean ship in five weeks and I've been to Labadee two or three times before on cruises. It's far away from the earthquake devastation and not stopping there for a couple of months would seriously hurt the local economy. There's absolutely no harm in stopping there and there's plenty good that comes from stopping there.

BTW, my cruise this year is not scheduled to hit Labadee, which is at or near the bottom of my list of cruise ports.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm dyslexic. Every time I see the word "Labadee", I think of ...

[​IMG]

... Larabee from Get Smart.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think of Lumidee.

Draft saved Draft deleted