1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roy Jones Jr is Old and After Tonight, Probably, Done

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Quality.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He might of had a chance if he was not trying to use the the same style he had at 25.

Seeing all those clips in a row... Damn, he was great.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

The ref let the Aussie get away with a lot. Green pulled Jones' head down several times to deliver an uppercut and that first knockdown punch looked like a rabbit punch.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's what he gets for making that collect call. Should have just taken the boot in the ass and been done with it.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Bernard Hopkins thought it was stopped too early.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I believe it's a wingtip.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

After this Hopkins would probably give Jones a 70-30 cut. Jones beat him when they were both in their prime as middleweights and never was too eager for a rematch. Although Hopkins amazingly was probably better at 35 than 25. Now he is almost 45, but he still has a lot more left than Jones. Jones has always been a bigger name and was very good at marketing himself. He picked the perfect opponent, Ruiz, to become a middleweight, light heavy and heavyweight champ. But Hopkins has dominated younger guys at the top of their games: Trinidad (a complete beatdown) De La Hoya (maybe a little past his prime, but his most thorough beating) and Pavlik (after he owned Taylor).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Drip

Drip Active Member

That is not correct. Hopkins was still learning the craft when they met.
    I personally enjoyed watching Jones get his ass kicked. Wish he had went to sleep on the canvas the way he did against Tarver.
    But I still respect what Jones has done in the sport. And here is a reminder for those, courtesy of Roy Jones Jr.

9. cjericho

that fight was 93. hopkins was 28. you want to list all the great champs who became champs after they turned 28 and had been pro for 7 years. i said hopkins is like a freak because he hit his prime late and has had an incredibly long career, where he isn't just hanging on like most guys.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The Olympic robbery...

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

That is true but the Bernard Hopkins at 28 was still learning the finer points of the sport. By comparison, Jones was much better. B.Hop lost a lot of time what he was imprisoned at Greatersford.

12. cjericho

You think Hopkins wins if the rematch was like 99 or 00? I think that may have been the best time to have it. I think Jones was more responsible for the rematch not happening, but he was the bigger name by a lot. Kind of like De La Hoya, he's going against guys as good or better, but he was the Golden Boy so it's gotta be at least 60-40 for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted