1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rove To Sheryl Crow: "Don't Touch Me...I Don't Work For You"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Apr 23, 2007.

1. First of all, there's nothing lighthearted about this dinner, or hasn't been since a major publication invited Paula Jones to it back in the day. (Or since Wrinkly Don waxed cheaply about the president's sex life.)
    Secondly, as has been stated, there were a number of ways for Rove to respond, politely, including "I don't want to talk about work." He chose, instead, to be the vicious, arrogant amphibian he has been his entire adult life. (Want to compare the public careers of Leon Panetta and Karl Rove? Please tell me you don't.)
    Thirdly, if there is one thing that everybody says about Clinton, it is that he'd rather engage the one person in the room that disagrees with him than speak to the 99 that don't.
    Some day, the fact that the corruption, arrogance, authoritarianism and incompetence of this administration is sui generis in American history is going to dawn generally on the country, and Sheryl Crow is going to be the least of these people's problems.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's been practically raining Chinese missiles in my neighorhood the past 10 years. ::) ::) ::) ::)

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Yes, because a dinner that has Rich Little as the headline entertainment is obviously a dinner intended to discuss the great issues facing America today. Regardless of whether Paula Jones got invited to it over a decade ago, the correspondent's dinner is there for the president and the press to crack jokes and break bread.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think the fact that Rich Little was the entertainment proves that that time could be spent on something else.

The Washington press corps has been breaking bread with this unique collection of bumbling idiots for long enough, now.

They should be embarassed that Sheryl Crow asks tougher questions.

5. The fact that Rich Little was invited makes it quite clear that it was a political dinner because he was there as a reaction to the Colbert appearance last year. There is no distinction between working and recreational partying in official Washington -- or there ought not to be.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

Or the hubub about the Colbert appearance makes it quite clear that official Washington does not see it as a political dinner.

7. Official Washington sees every gathering as political.
    The problem is that Official Washington doesn't see politics as anything serious.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Perhaps Rove had heard that Cheryl only wipes with one piece of toilet paper and as grossed out.

April 24, 2007 -- SHERYL Crow should eat crow. The save-the-environment rocker who's on a "Stop Global Warming College Tour" with Laurie David and just proposed a limit on toilet paper usage is a big gas-guzzler. Her performance rider demands for each show include three tractor trailers, four buses and six cars for her entourage, TheSmokingGun.com reports. She also insists on 12 bottles of Grolsch beer, six bottles of "local" beer and a bottle each of "good Australian Cabernet" and "good Merlot." Crow's flack said the rider was "an old one from 10 years ago" but declined to show us a current one.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Holy fuck did you go overboard with your analogy. Where did Crow show pictures? Where did I say Cheney was bound to debate? Where the hell did any of it come from?

All I stated was that Rove's response could have been better. He doesn't need to get into a long winded discussion. But to respond with a "I don't work for you!" is unprofessional and crass.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Rumor has it that after rove blew up that Crowe sung a chorus of Anything But Down.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Indeed there are. And Crow and David knew exactly how to go about this to ignite Karl Rove's temper.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

In fact you said,
    So I wanted to see if you truly believed in that or just wanted to score cheap political points. I got my answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted