1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Round Rock, TX Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Hackwilson191, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

Company: Round Rock Leader
    Position:
    Sports Editor Wanted
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires:
    July 10, 2007
    Job ID: 731593

Description:
    The Round Rock Leader is currently accepting applications for the position of SPORTS EDITOR for its three-times per week newspaper in Central Texas, just north of Austin. This is a great opportunity for someone looking to gain more experience before possibly making a move to a daily newspaper. The ideal candidate must be organized, must have a plan to cover six high school, plus Round Rock Express baseball, a minor league affiliate of the Houston Astros. Responsibilities will include writing and editing sports stories, shooting photos, as well as computer pagination using Quark. Knowledge of Photoshop is a plus. Ideal candidate must be a self-starter with excellent writing and communication skills and be must be willing to cover night and weekend assignments. In baseball terms, we are looking for a “five-tool” player – someone who can do it all. We offer competitive pay, good benefits and the opportunity to work with a knowledgeable and friendly staff. Please send clips and resume to Brad Stutzman, editor@rrleader.com or Terry Schaub, tschaub@rrleader.com, publisher of the Round Rock Leader.

The pay is terrible, but does anyone know anything about the paper?

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Wow, they want a five-tool player for 20-25K. Not asking for much, are they?

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

For a three-times-a-week paper in cheap-ass Texas? That's probably a pretty fair salary.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The cost of living in that part of Texas isn't cheap, though. You probably could survive in Round Rock, but Austin - next door - is pretty pricey.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'd try finding a place in Hutto (home of the Hippos) before Round Rock. Everything up and down I-35 is just nuts.

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

How about in Pflugerville?

7. I hear Jollyville is a pretty jolly place.

8. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Is there still no state income tax in Texas?

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You are correct. It made moving here much easier on my budget.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Haven't heard good things about this operation. And it's much more of a family town than a young people's place, which the pay is liable to attract. Traffic in this corridor is crazy (and terribly planned), and with all the bars in Austin, be careful in the early a.m.

11. ogre

ogre Member

A friend of mine has/is playing for the Round Rock Triple A team. He really liked it there, but maybe that was because of the team.

Draft saved Draft deleted