1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rough one in the Times this morning...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JoelHammond, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Obviously the reporter should've researched it better, no question. However, you don't know what kind of deadline restraint the guy was in. Should it had been caught? Yes. But I'm sure we've seen worse.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Caught? Unless you are an NBA fanatic, why would Carlos Boozer being listed as a first round pick raise a red flag?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

We have seen worse. I said so. But I take offense to someone starting a thread about a mistake in a story and you posting "big deal, it happens." If that's your best contribution, take it to another thread.

4. dooley_womack1

And have a happy Improbable Story Day

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

And I take offense that you find it easier to sit on your behind and criticize the mistake instead of analyzing how it might have been made. I think that would be more helpful to people, especially younger journalists.
    Perhaps you should take your own snarky advice on this one.

6. playthrough

I did analyze it, briefly. In a game like that, you figure either team could win and you jot down some points early in your day to use deeper in the story. The writer had some Duke notes in mind but erred in grouping Boozer in a group of "high first-round draft picks."

As another poster said, that might be a tough pickup for a non-NBA fanatic. I didn't pause on it immediately, either. But it's an error to say a guy drafted in the second round was a "high first-round", which in the NBA equates to a lottery pick. A quick check would have found that.

So, your message to "younger journalists" is that it was no big deal, right?

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

No. The tone of the early conversations sounded more like people all too happy to find mistakes the Times piece.

8. playthrough

I hope that's not true. But like many other supposed flagship publications (cough, SI, cough), the errors in the Times are becoming far too frequent and easily spotted. I read a story last week on Ben Hogan in the Times that made two references to "Bryon" Nelson. Ugh.

9. FlipSide

FlipSide Member

I get that it's the NEW YORK TIMES, but anyone who's covered an event like this -- much less a title game that went down to the wire on deadline -- can understand such a mistake.

Hell, I'd be proud to pen a story that good without deadline pressure.

Pete is one of the best in the biz. Doesn't change my opinion one bit.

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Also, I've taken notes before a big game, esp a late one, but when i start to write, my mind is locked in, on the narrative, on trying to remember everything, on all the stuff i told myself to remember during the game, the quotes, the mood, etc. i've made plenty, plenty, plenty of little mistakes that bugged me like this one.

if anything, it shows a young journalist that EVERYONE makes these mistakes.

11. dooley_womack1

That one's on the reporter. I highly doubt the desk would have had time in this case to go to NBAreference.com and check 4-5 players, however many.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Looks like a clarification issue more than anything else. Should've added a qualifier.

Draft saved Draft deleted