1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rosie DiManno column on the CIA Agent who "discovered" Bin Laden

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Sep 9, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Some of the Canadians (particularly the journos) might disagree, but for my money, Rosie is both one of the best reporters AND columnists in this country. If she were working in the U.S. I think she'd be a bona fide superstar.

Maybe the contents of this piece are old news but I found it fascinating.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1157753409895&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home

It's longish, about 3,000 words.

2. JR and I actually find common ground.

Rosie DiManno is a superb writer, both in news and sports.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hell has frozen over.

4. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Member

There was a terrific story in The New Yorker about a month ago about another agent who chased after Bin-Laden following the attack on the USS Cole. However, Coleman was well ahead in his knowledge of Al-Qaeda.

I do have to disagree with you two on one thing, though. While DiManno's news reporting/writing is excellent, I find her sports stuff brings down her overall quality of work. Much of it strikes me as fanboyish. What is interesting about her is that she refuses to do radio/TV interviews. Let's her writing speak for her.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think t he intention of her sports stuff is exactly that, like her sidekick over at the Globe, Christie Blatcford.

Draft saved Draft deleted