1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roseanne calls out Oprah

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 22, 2008.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

So? It's all about me, man!

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

While I won't argue your second point, I thought Roseanne's show was good. It followed in the footsteps of "Married ... With Children" -- filthy, insulting, crude humor, the first of its kind on ABC. It was far from the perfect show, with its gaffes in continuity, but it was a witty show which showed life through a struggling, lower middle-class, dysfunctional family. It was a lot more realistic than "Married ... With Children," though not as funny, to me.

It did something few sitcoms did in that era, and that was capture an audience with its jokes, then trap and wrap them into following a soap opera-type format; the final season was just that -- with Darlene and David having their kid, then it almost dying, then Dan having a heart attack, then he Roseanne winning the lottery, splitting up, etc., then doing a 180 at the end and revealing almost the entire season was a story written by Roseanne after Dan dying. What really made that a good series, in my opinion, was its ending. Never have I watched a comedy and been so surprised at its conclusion. I don't think anyone expected it.

The play between Darlene and Becky was completely accurate compared to most teenage sisters I've know, and their interactions with their parents was spot on, too.

The only criticism I really have -- other than the Becky deal -- was the casting/writing of the characters. I hated Beverly, Roseanne's mother, because of her shrill voice and Becky because of her whiny nature, and Jackie was an overactor at times, too; almost every show's got one, and I hate every single one of them.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I hated Beverly too, but the shrill bitchiness also made the character.
    Jackie became more of a characture as the series wore on.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That show was way up there in humorously - accurately - depicting family life in this country.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It was almost as if the shorter Jackie's hair got, the more annoying she became. Coincidentally, perhaps, Bev's hair was the shortest of everyone's.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The show began to lose its fastball in the final two or three seasons. The early episodes, though, were dead-on depictions of American family life.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I've never seen a good show go bad as fast as that one did.

The last few seasons were unwatchable.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The last one was the only one I consider a major dropoff.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Ronald Reagan singlehandled destroyed the working people and the economy.
    Hmmm.
    When Reagan took over, working people were paying 18 percent for car loans. Eighteen freaking percent. They were doing just great, weren't they? When Reagan took over, the industrial base of this country had already been deteriorating for YEARS. My father's industry, full of people who called themselves "working", maybe 60 percent of whom actually were -- was a shell of its former self. By the time Reagan was finished, the economy in this country actually had a chance to progress forward to the 21st century, where we get 5 percent unemployment and worry that we're in an economic crisis. Hell, in the early 80s, thanks to Jimmy Carter's brilliant stewardship, it was nearly twice that.
    Roseanne is an idiot. Has she been hanging with Rosie O'Donnell?

10. I think the last three seasons really slowed down.
    The first couple, though, were terrific television.
    Of course, now, she is MESSING WITH THE FUNDAMENTAL FORCES OF NATURE AND SHE WILL PAY!

And twob' --
    Jimmy Carter's "stewardship," as you say, involved the wreckage of a Nixon administration that paid little or no attention to the economy while trying the keep the King Fixer out of jail, and then an oil shock. He didn't tell pretty stories about "morning in America." Reagan did. Whereupon, he ran the economy straight into the recessionary ditch until O'Neill and the Democrats bailed him out in 1982.
    And I think this is probably the wrong day to point out that our economy is doing so well.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I like it best when the Savings and Loan industry began investing in the art market and plywood futures.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

1. Hillary Clinton does not need Oprah, or an appearance on her show. She was the assistant freaking president for eight years and she's a U.S. Senator.
    2. Rosie's a blowhard.

Draft saved Draft deleted