1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Root canal!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cameron Frye, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

So I'm sitting here in the dentist's office, half my face numb, halfway through my very first root canal. For those of you who jave had this done, will I be able get away with not using the narcotic script they're going to give me?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Send me your drugs.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Probably. My mouth was sore as hell the first night, but after that it was OK.

I think I need another one though. Booooooo.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

have had root canal twice, once a double root canal, and the pain wasn't nearly what i was expecting. maybe used the pain meds the first day.

5. joe

joe Active Member

Save the pills for a special occasion. You know, like a Thursday.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

This isn't nearly as much fun as a "Me, a 12-pack of Coors, a cordless drill and a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide" thread.

7. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Had one back in Dec./Jan. It was incentive enough to take really good care of my teeth from now on. They gave me the monster Ibuprofen tabs, but those tore my stomach to shreds. Luckily a doctor from my church gave me a dozen or so Tylenol 3s. That was all I needed, and it made all the difference in the world for that first week.
    Side note: the drilling and yanking of the nerve were not as unpleasant as I thought they would be. Phase 2 of the procedure was another story -- a whole lot of no fun. It's all over now, though. I just had it crowned this morning.
    Thank goodness for dental plans.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

NOOOOOOOOO. I had a really deep cavity, but had dinner plans one night so told the dentist that I wanted to drugs. Yeah, well the cavity was so deep it need a root canal. It hit the nerve. It hurt like hell. I wanted to stab myself. Awful. Plain awful.

9. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Hope things went OK for you, Cameron.

Every time I tell this story, people think I am kidding.

About 20 years ago, I was changing jobs and decided I should take advantage of the insurance I was not going to have after the job change and went to the dentist for a routine checkup.

The *lady* dentist gets me in the chair, gives me the full exam, including X-Rays, comes in to do more examining, and starts the chit-chat to relax me with, of all questions, "When did you have your root canal work done, BNWriter?"

I have *never. Never.* had root canal work (or at least that is what was certain of).

I looked at her as though she had been drinking. I said, "What are you talking about? I have never had root canal done."

She begged to differ -- and it turned out she was right. Apparently, about a year or so before this, I had been feeling a tingling sensation in a front tooth. I did not think much of it at the time, but it turned out, this dentist told me, that tingling was the tooth performing what she described as a "self-root canal."

I apparently saved myself, at the time about $3,000 as a result. That was how much a root canal cost a co-worker I had at the time.

I hope you are recovering nicely, Cameron.

10. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Hitting the nerve is the point of a root canal. It removes the nerve from the tooth.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I got one last winter and my insurance doesn't cover crowns. Since I'm broke and trying to work my way out of debt right now, I haven't had the $800 to pay for one out of pocket. Instead I just have a hole in my tooth and try to avoid eating on that side of my mouth.

Fuck insurance companies. Biggest scam artists on the planet.

12. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

I thought about stealing a few needles from my girlfriend's sewing room and doing it myself, but I thought better of it.

I decided not to fill the narcotic - gonna stick with ibuprofen. So I'm taking bids, if anyone wants it. (just kidding, if the DEA is reading this)
    I still can't feel my face, so I have no idea how bad it's going to hurt.

Draft saved Draft deleted