1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

rookie mistakes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by In Cold Blood, Jun 10, 2007.

1. rascalface

rascalface Member

As a wise editing instructor told us all in college, "Never, EVER, put anything on the screen you don't want to see in print the next morning. Ever."

2. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

That's a true story. I saw the newspaper that day. And, no, it was not my paper. Thank God.

3. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I'll share the worst I've seen at my own college paper. (luckily for me, I can't take credit for this mistake)

One day at my college paper, a guy sent his story in the body of an e-mail. At the top of the e-mail, he wrote something to the effect of "Hey guys, here's my story, call if you have any questions... PEACE OUT BITCHES"

Well, of course, the designer who was doing the page for which the story was intended copied and pasted right from the body of the e-mail, so the next morning, in every newspaper on campus, the top story on page four opens with "peace out bitches"...

Boy did our journalism prof have a field day on the entire staff that night at the staff meeting.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's a great thing for professors to tell their students, and too many of them take it for granted that the kids know it.

And for our part, if we see someone young playing with the copy or headline or something, resist the temptation to be one of the guys and laugh ... and explain why that's a terrible idea.

5. chazp

chazp Active Member

The mistake is behind you, but you can avoid it in the future. Ask for name spelling every time you get a call in story and while covering games in person, prep coaches are notorious for not knowing how to spell their players names right, ask the player instead of the coach. Had a coach who wrote a girls name down on a lineup card as Crystal, when it was in fact Krystal. She was a senior and had played for him for four years and he still didn't know how to spell her name. I found out it as a "K," not a "C," by a phone call the girls mother placed the next day. To say her mom ripped me a new one would be putting it mildly.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, see, chaz, that mom has a really short rope with me when she calls. Because you did your job, and had no reason not to expect the coach to know how to spell his kids' names. He was a source.

7. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Mistakes happen all the time. The best thing about this business is that when you screw up, most of the time you get a chance the next day to do it better. We've all screwed up. At one shop, where computers were notorious for crashing a lot on deadline, I forgot to jump a story about a legendary coach who had died. In the rush of deadline, i just slapped something in the hole and pushed the page out. Next day, I felt terrible.

Here's the one thing I'll say -- and I haven't read everybody's posts, so I don't know if it's been said yet. The day you make a mistake, minor or major, and don't feel anything is the same day you need to pack up your things, go home and start looking for something else to do. Don't let it eat at you. Don't let it ruin you. But don't ever -- EVER -- let it not phase you. Pride in your own work should be more important than what your boss or readers think. Your standards for yourself should far exceed any standards others have for you. At least, that's my opinion.

8. donaugust

donaugust Member

Got the winning team wrong in the first headline I wrote at a new job. Always a great start.

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I've told this before, but the first sportswriter I hired was at a small daily. I'd always come in and proof pages when he was on desk, since he was so new at it. The first day I didn't come in and proof pages, he had the name of one of the local schools -- also the town's name -- misspelled in a 70-point headline. We all make mistakes. We all should learn from them. I'd be afraid to count all the mistakes I've made. In my 18-month stint in news, the first month I managed to screw something up every day. The ME called me into his office after three weeks and said, "SCEditor, I don't know how you do it, but you manage to mess something up every day. But I'm impressed -- you never have the same mistake twice. At some point, you'll run out of them."

10. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

When I'm editing a story, here's how I save myself on the names: I do a save string on the name from the body copy, then paste it into the headline field. I don't care what the name is; it could be something as simple as "Jones" (no offense, Jones). Copy from the story and paste into the headline field. It'll save your ass.

11. I've learned over time to just ask in almost every circumstance. Even John can be spelled Jon, Brian can be Bryan and Sara can be Sarah. Simple names aren't necessarily simple, best to ask.

12. chazp

chazp Active Member

I know what your saying, but I don't ask coaches anymore if I can ask the player.

Draft saved Draft deleted