1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

roofers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I get home at about 2 a.m. and after unwinding, finally get to sleep sometime after 4. At 7:30 I'm woken up by the sounds of hammers, saws, heavy machinery and guys yelling at each other, not to mention dust coming through the ceiling above me, showering down on my while I tried to sleep.
    It's not as if we weren't warned about the dust. We got a notice advising is that the work was going to be done and on Monday I was asked to move my car because a crane needed to be in my parking space.
    The notice didn't say what time work was going to take place however.
    I was under the impression that there were laws that prohibitted this kind of work from being done before 8 a.m., but maybe that was just a local ordinance in the suburban community where I used to live. I called the police about it and they gave me a number for the compliance department. Nobody was in the office yet there so I left a message.
    I'd stay in a hotel but I can't afford it and since these things have a way of taking several days longer than originally planned, God only knows how long I'd have to stay there.
    Maybe this is just the price I have to pay for working nights, but is it too much to ask that these people obey the law and not begin work until 8 a.m.?
    Other than just sucking it up on 1-2 hours of sleep a night for the next few days, what else can I do?
    Right now I want to kill somebody.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Would the extra half-hour have really made a difference? Four hours vs. 3 1/2?

3. Smallpotatoes

I guess not, but if the law says they can't begin before 8, they shouldn't begin before 8

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think the law will vary from municipality to municipality. I think in Toronto it's 7:30 a.m.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Well, no. But you calling it 1-2 hours of sleep and how you want to kill someone because you were so rudely woken up reads like your typical blowhardedness about how your life sucks worse than anyone else's.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Plant a nail in one of their necks tomorrow and see if they start before 8 a.m.

7. Smallpotatoes

I guess all I can do is suck it up then

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Basically, yeah. They've been doing construction in my complex off and on since I've lived here (two years). Rarely do I get in bed before 5, rarely do they start after 7. Add in my neighbor's alarm going off at 6 (and him sometimes leaving it ringing for 10 minutes) and my sleep is rarely ever perfect.

If you don't have to get up at a certain time, earplugs might be able to help the sound. Not much I can help you with about the dust, though.

9. Masturbation? Loud noise doesn't disturb that for me.

10. Smallpotatoes

They're right above me. Why do they have to start so early?

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Because roofing has a smaller work window for the day than most jobs. Because of the angle of the sun (and depending on the time of year and temperature), you can only really do roofing effectively until 1 p.m. or so... if you're walking around a bunch on a roof later than that, you can warp and damage the shingles.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Because they don't work nights? Because if they start at 7:30, they can get home before their kids get home from school? Because they can? (OTR said this much better than I did)

Dude, we are going to get screwed out of a lot of stuff by working nights. Complete silence while we sleep is one of those things. It sucks, but it's the reality. We get the cars honking while people go to work. We get the people knocking on your door to sell shit. We get all this stuff that those that sleep 9 p.m.-6 a.m. don't get.

Sucks, but it comes with the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted