1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ron Washington: Rangers manager

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Nov 6, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/sports/AP-BBA-Rangers-Manager.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sign of the times that I and some others may find refreshing: Hardly any mention anywhere (TV, radio, print) that Washington is the Rangers' first African-American manager.

One sign that race should no longer matter (and never did in the first place) if you are a good coach / manager.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Washington's name popped up for a couple of jobs. You have to wonder what Billy Beane was thinking by letting him get away.

4. Jones

Jones Active Member

1) Expect the Rangers to start bunting a lot.

2) Expect some of the hilariously profane managerial scrums in baseball history, or at least since Lee Elia.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'm sure I've posted it here before (and I will again later, if folks want), but Washington pulled off my favorite managerial move of all time while with the Capital City Bombers (would have been 1993, I'm guessing).

And while I don't have the time to give you the full story here, I'll give you the particulars:

-- Mid-game abduction of first base.
    -- Holding of said base hostage in a locked equipment room.
    -- Painting of said base day-glo orange.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

It didn't matter who the Rangers hired: they fired Buck Showalter, so they are guaranteed to win the World Series this year. Just ask the Yanks and DBacks.

7. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Greatest Ron Washington quote of all-time:

Ron Washington on bunting for a basehit:
    "Bottom line, son, you gotta get that bitch down and run like a motherfucker.”

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

That Washington wanted a.) more than $4.50 an hour to manage and b.) wasn't willing to spend every minute glorifying Beane's very existence?

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You might be on to something there.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Good for Washington. Good for the Rangers. I know he's had a lot on his mind in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and this is good news for him and his family.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Plus, in all seriousness, Washington has been there a while and is popular among players. It'll be tougher for Beane to bully someone who has the respect of the locker room. That's probably the mistake he thinks he made with Macha.

12. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I heard Ron Washington is kind of a big deal... his dugouts smell of rich mahogany.

Draft saved Draft deleted