1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ron Santo dies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Dec 3, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

Very sad.

RIP

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Love him or hate him; you always knew where Santo stood on things.

RIP

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

As a Cubs fanboi, I don't know if I can even put into words how sad I feel. As Chef said, love him or hate him, Santo bled Cubbie blue and he loved everything that was Chicago, Wrigley, Cubs, and baseball.

I'm tearing up now because I won't get to hear his voice again, even when the Cubs were falling apart during the season.

This hurts.

5. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

RIP.. He really should be in the HOF. I am sure he will get in eventually. Just wish he would have been around to enjoy his moment. Sad!

6. Hated having to listen to him as a color guy, but he was an institution that will be missed by many. RIP Ronnie.

7. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Oh man. Very, very sad. Ron wasn't the best color guy, but he was so bad he made it entertaining. A true Cub, through and through.

He should be in the Hall and gotten to enjoy that moment while he was alive.

RIP Ronnie. Cubs fans will miss you.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'm a Cards fan through and through, but I enjoyed listening to Cubs broadcasts with Ron Santo and he was one of the best damn third basemen for his time. I think he belongs in the HOF. It's going to be a dark day in Chicago.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Anyone who could use 'hate' and 'Ron Santo' in the same sentence never had the privilege of spending even two minutes around the man.

One of the warmest, kindest, most down-to-earth guy you could ever hope to know.

If there's a Field of Dreams somewhere, he's on his way, both legs intact, clicking his heels in Cubbie Blue. RIP, my friend. :'(

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't have the slightest idea how good or bad he was as a broadcaster. But his name brings back great memories of the players whose stats I knew off by heart when I was a kid, the players I heard about on my transistor radio as I pulled in games at night from all over the East Coast.

RIP.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think I've ever heard a person say a negative thing about Ron Santo.

Was honored to have met him a few times. Incredibly nice guy.

12. billikens

billikens Member

Heard about it this morning and immediately brought back memories of the death of my grandfather, a die-hard Cubs fan, and how sad I was that he never got to see them win it all.

But he used to say something like, "The only person who would enjoy a Cubs World Series more than me is Ron Santo."

RIP Ron.

Draft saved Draft deleted