1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ron Reid RIP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stone Cane, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

Ron Reid, long-time sports writer with the Philadelphia Inquirer, died over the weekend.

Rondo retired five years ago, maybe six, after covering the Eagles and international track and field forever. One of the loudest, funniest guys to grace a press box.

A good man. He'll be missed.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Covered many a track meet with Ron... a great, fun guy.

RIP

3. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Oh man, Ron was one of the all-time great guys in the press box. Funny beyond belief. Sad, sad, sad. And on the Penn Relays weekend. Damn.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Fuck. Great, great, great guy.
    Rumor is he had EVERY phone number. All of them. For anyone.
    Had he been sick?

RIP Ron.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Terrible news. Ron was one of the redeeming factors of covering the Boston Marathon.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

He wrote some great stuff. I didn't know him, but I certainly enjoyed reading him.

RIP.

7. http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20070501_Ron_Reid__sportswriter__dies.html

8. very, very sad

probably the funniest guy I've ever had the pleasure to sit next to in a press box. his one-liners on deadline were always devastatingly funny

a real pro and wonderful guy

RIP, Ron

9. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

those in the philly area who are interested in paying their respects:

REID, Joseph (Ron), Of East Windsor. Calling hours: 6-9 p.m. Friday and 9-10 a.m. Saturday at the Huber-Moore Funeral Home, 517 Farnsworth Ave., Bordentown. Funeral services: 10 a.m. Saturday at the funeral home.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

don't know him.

don't recall reading him.

but i just read that obit and it's clear the journalism world lost a a great one

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

A paper I was on tried to recruit him years ago, wanted him real bad. He interviewed and later said no. The SE usually had a "plenty of other fish in the sea" attitude when someone said no, but he wanted Reid bad. I just met him briefly, seemed like a cool guy.

12. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

First met him at a football game in 1977 when he was with SI. Like spnited, covered a ton of track meets with him over the 30 years since then. A very good, funny man, the ultimate pro. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted