1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ron Paul: Man of Integrity

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

We'd probably need to do that before they get sick.

Otherwise, it would be a bit icky.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And yet our medical costs per capita are the highest in the world.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I blame speculators.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

http://thehealthcareblog.com/blog/2009/07/27/speculators-bet-reform-won’t-hurt-industry/

http://www.zacks.com/research/get_news.php?id=258l1853

5. RickStain

See? As always, I was right.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The U.S. also has the highest GDP in the world, which gives us more ability to pay more. That is important.

There is a high correlation (and this is based on regression analysis, which is purely scientific) between a country's wealth and its health care spending (GDP explains close to 90 percent of the variation between countries).

Saying we spend more per capita is true. But we also earn more per capita than most of the places you are comparing us to, so in terms of standard of living are we REALLY worse off than France, for example? Are we actually doing better?

Even adjusted for the GDP correlation, the U.S. DOES spend a fair degree more than other countries, but not nearly as extreme as the "we spend more" argument usually suggests. Part of it is higher administrative costs, which are extreme here. Part of it is defensive medicine due to malpractice laws that cripple doctors. But part of it is also that we do procedures way more liberally, which even if we are wasteful, wouldn't suggest as you previously did that we have inferior care.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Not gloating at all.
    Being flippant, not gloating.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If he owed $400,000 upon his death, isn't it a false claim to say he died because he lacked health care.

I'm also not sure why Ron Paul would be responsible of his bills. (Or why his mother would be.)

But, if you think this guy had it bad, you should meet this guy:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/2590614/Barack-Obamas-lost-brother-found-in-Kenya.html

Maybe he has a relative who could help him out.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It does not appear that he died from lack of health care.
    Further, Paul has not changed his stance despite the fact that someone with whom he was close fell seriously ill while uninsured.
    I don't see the hypocrisy.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

No, they have you to cover the bill. Feel better now?

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I didn't understand why the mother would be on the hook, unless she offered to be responsible for some reason.

Of course, getting others to pay doesn't always work out, especially if the mom gambles it all away.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article557165.ece

12. RickStain

I just hate this kind of thinking, and I especially hate it in politics. It takes 15 seconds of rational thought to realize that the merits of the system Ron Paul advocates cannot in any way be measured by whether or not someone close to him died in a hospital without insurance. It appeals to emotion and lets people pat themselves on the back for being on the good side without having to put any thought into anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted