1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ron Fournier keeps up the fight

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beardpuller, Aug 23, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I do appreciate, on a certain level, how Fournier has become the poster child of everything wrong with the newspaper business.
    Or something like that.
    And how the AP has become the symbol of WRONG. WRONG. WRONG.

2. goneup

goneup Member

Sorry, beardpuller. Didn't me to offend as much as I did. My point was, I don't think any journalist should depend on moveon as a source for information. It would be the same as if you wrote, "Rush Limbaugh said ..." Nobody would trust anything you wrote afterward, fact or fiction. It's not that I don't LIKE that group, I just have an opinion of it that journalists should have: It's a well-financed, hardcore left-wing attack dog that does as much harm to our political system as any comparable group on the other side.

Yeah, I know the voter rolls won't miss me (except in Florida 2000) and I don't give a fart. I feel a helluva lot better not taking part in the Who Can We Bullshit and Divide game that this has come down to. Damn, now I'm pissed I even got drawn into this. See what I was talking about?

3. goneup

goneup Member

I can't resist.
    What bothers me most about this thread -- and it's got nothing to do with beardpuller, who I know nothing about -- is this: The AP has been accused for years of having a left-wing bias, but the accusers always get scuttled away as a bunch of nuts (remember the Clinton Crazies) who pray at the altar of Rush Limbaugh. Now, an AP reporter/editor/whatever he is gets accused of the same thing, but the other direction, and people want to hang him up by his nuts. If it's all true, then he's wrong and deserves to be blasted. Let's just carry this idea of objectivity across the board for once.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Apples and oranges. AP's coverage in the 1990s was meant to be objective. Now the admitted attempt is to be more subjective:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/11716.html

The right-wingers in the 1990s were reacting to a problem that may or may not have existed and could have been a figment of their imagination. There's no question that the problem exists today -- AP has changed the way it does things. Your point about the 1990s is a matter of opinion. The point about today's AP is not a matter of opinion, it is fact.

Draft saved Draft deleted