1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ron Fournier keeps up the fight

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beardpuller, Aug 23, 2008.

1. buzzerbeater

buzzerbeater Member

It is, as has been noted, ANALYSIS. That means opinion.
    moveon.org bitching about a slanted view of politics is too funny.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'll be waiting for the Fournier piece on why McCain is too old for the job when he picks a younger running mate.
    I don't mind the analysis, but it does read like a Rovian talking point. Was Bush unready for the job when he picked Cheney?

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

We're nearly eight years in and you are asking that question now?

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

As for using MoveOn.org as a source, I was referencing their quoting of the AP analysis. They quoted the analysis accurately, so there should be no journalistic issue there.
    Again, to people who think just because this crap is labeled "analysis" then everything is wonderful, I would say that as far as I can tell, this is THE analysis AP offered its clients of the move. What I would expect from the AP is an analysis that points out both the positives and negatives of such a choice, in an evenhanded manner that does not hint at an agenda. I would expect this when McCain names his running mate, as well.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Fournier didn't almost take a job with the McCain campaign. It was offered, but he didn't take it, and he wasn't close to taking it either.

6. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Fournier really hurt himself with the "keep up the fight" comment to Rove. He'll never again be looked on as an objective party by most of the left.

It's a cautionary tale for any reporter. One cozy remark can really come back to hurt you.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It can't be good for the AP, if, as could very well happen, the next President of the United States gets sworn in believing your Washington bureau chief is a partisan enemy.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I don't think AP is leaning to any one side, as Superville's "If your husband gets elected, PLEASE have me over for cookies!"-toned column on Michelle Obama attested.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_campaignplus/20080821/ap_ca/on_deadline

The most important part of this column is of course: "Darlene Superville, who is black, has been an editor on The Associated Press' national politics desk for the presidential campaigns of 2000, 2004 and 2008."

AP bigwigs/editors are leaning too much in this campaign, on both sides.

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I doubt if the MoveOn.org people will be protesting this column.

10. goneup

goneup Member

This is a spoof, right?
    Even if moveon wasn't the primary source, the fact that you may have found this analysis in that group's domain pretty much dilutes your credibility.
    The distrust of the media (as left-leaning), in my opinion, is a huge reason for the results of the last two elections.
    That said, fuck 'em both. I exercised my rights as a citizen and took my name of the voter rolls. Voting for either of this assrags only enourages them. It's like setting out scraps of food for rats.

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Okaaayy. The fact that I found this on a blurb from a group you don't like dilutes MY credibility, even though the facts of what they found are not in dispute.
    I don't think the voter rolls will miss you much.

Draft saved Draft deleted