1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ron Drogo, (spnited), RIP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Feb 21, 2011.

1. angola!

angola! Guest

Re: Ron Drogo, RIP

Oh man, what terrible news.

Ron was a great, great guy.

Condolences to his friends and family.

I always enjoyed interacting with him.

Rest in peace, Ron.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I didn't talk to Ron much here, but he seemed like a good guy, and took the kidding he got here pretty well.

R.I.P., Ron.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

A funny thing about SportsJournalists.com protocol. I was driving another SportsJournalists.com poster around to show him some sights maybe five or six years ago and he said, "I know ----- is Drogo, isn't he?" And I told him the truth, that we never had formally outed ourselves to the other, so I can't say for sure and wouldn't say even if I could say so for sure. Ron and I talked about SportsJournalists.com a fair amount and we both knew damn well who the other was, but we never actually said so. At some point, someone who knew me here just by my screen name PMed me about a job opening and said Drogo vouched for me. So there is no doubt Ron knew my screen name. And there is no doubt I knew his. But it's something we never discussed.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

This cuts really, really deep.

Only knew him on Facebook and here, but his thoughts and insights were always entertaining.

This news is a heartbreaker.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Very sad news. I had the pleasure to have talked to him in real life on 2-3 occasions. Salt of the earth, old-school newspaper guy who brooked no nonsense but surely taught a generation or two of journalists how to do things right. And a surprisingly solid sense of humor. On here, he so often, succinctly, put things in perspective. R.I.P., amigo, and may your loved ones (one in particular that I used to know) be comforted by the full life you clearly lived.

6. Re: Ron Drogo, RIP

RIP, Ron.

If he was who I think he was, this place won't be the same.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Wow. This is tough to hear. RIP.

8. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Damn. This is tough. I had the pleasure of hanging out with him at SJ Cleveland. It was a great time, and he was one of the main reasons why. He was a legend.

RIP.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Fuck.

That's way too young. Way too young.

I never met the man. Only knew him on here. I regret all the silly arguments. Life's too short for that shit.

Fuck.

RIP, Ron.

10. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Devastating news.
    Ron deeply touched many posters here with his wit, his insight, his love of a good debate, his stories about the business and his passion for newspapers. Imagine the impact he had on those lucky enough to cross his path in the "real" world.
    Just heartbreaking.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Man, I just heard about this from a friend and came straight here. Awful, awful news. Never knew him other than here, but he struck me -- a guy with 32 years in the business -- as a guy I would absolutely love to hang with in real life, like so many of the guys I worked with over the years.

The comments in the link by Mark Czerwinski on how he was looking for him today at that tournament at Ramapo, just hits hard.

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

He will be greatly missed.

RIP

Draft saved Draft deleted