1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ron Drogo, (spnited), RIP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I'm still in complete shock.

Cannot tell you the difference this man made on this board and to certain posters who needed an encouraging word at the right time(s). Moddy, he wasn't an SOB who was still a good guy (and yes, I know what you were saying and your meaning ... no implications here ... ). I've seen this kind of personality before, and it was one of my favorite people on Earth who, like Ron, left us entirely too soon. It was a front to mask the fact that this man was one of nicest and best people any of us will ever know.

RIP S-P/Ron. You're already missed.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Unless it's directed at Beej; then it becomes a continuing memorial.

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

I think for a while, I'm going to follow what some of you are doing, using Ron's pic.

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

RIP. I enjoyed reading his posts, however crusty they were. Reminded me so much of what an old-school editor was and is.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Eating Jersey Mikes for lunch. It seemed like the only real choice.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If only it served lobster bisque. He put down a truckload of that stuff at the impromptu NYC outing.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

He did mention on the spring training thread that Octavio Dotel was certainly not the answer as the Jays' closer. I know he will be spot on with that one.

8. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Haven't been on the board in awhile and don't know what prompted me to check in this morning. Helluva a jolt to see this right off the bat. Didn't know Ron personally but I got a huge kick out of spnited. Seemed like a classic Front Page kind of guy. RIP.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

RIP, buddy

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Funny thing: When IJAG called me this morning to tell me what happened (and a very nice gesture on her part, so I wouldn't have to find out online), she said that spnited had died, and I couldn't figure out who that was because she was pronouncing his screenname correctly. When she said Ron, internally I was all "oh, spit-ned. damn."

A good guy with whom I had a couple of on-board run-ins, until I realized that it was his online shtick. Met him in NYC in 2007, and again at the Cleveland outing. We were the last two out-of-towners left, and we went to grab dinner and drinks that Sunday night. No life-altering revelations, just a couple of guys talking newspapers and sports and the shit associated with both. It was a nice moment, and I'm honored I got to be a part of it.

Damn.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I certainly thought for many months if not years that it was spirited.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Yes, even if it is made up of "just" a bunch of anonymous posters...

This simply shows that anonymity is in the name. We're still all real people.

And, if we weren't, spnited always did his best to make us get real.

RIP to someone who will be missed around here, and, I'm sure, in life.

Draft saved Draft deleted