1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ron Borges - Plagiarist?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 5, 2007.

1. Read this article at The Cold Hard Football Facts and tell me how what Borges did is any different from what Ken Powers did a couple of years ago.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=1357&Category=1

Powers was fired from the Worcester Telegram and the Globe and Telegram have the same corporate ownership. Somehow I think Borges gets away with this because the Globe is not the paragon of journalistic ethics people would have you believe.

2. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

off with his head!

heresy!

how dare borges use the same words as sando to explain the same facts.
    i mean, you've got to shuffle the words around, right? change the clauses or something. use different modifiers and adjectives? ah yes, borges had to write fresh adjectives.

does sando own the facts?
    and if anybody else writes the facts, are they "plagiarizing" sando?
    how do we know sando was the first to write the same facts? most of what sando wrote could have come out of a press release.

this is so idiotic. such petty jealousy.

plagiarism is not the regurgitation of facts that are part of the public record.
    plagiarism is the taking of original writing and thinking that is not part of the public record. sando didn't create anything original about jackson. he simply recounted the facts.

and borges is a plagiarist - off with his head!

how do you say WITCH HUNT?

3. You don't see the blantant similarities? It's almost cut and paste.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

funny - coming from someone who is portrying himself to be henry hect.

5. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

borges and sando did the same thing - a chronology of the facts.

no original thinking - no analysis.

they're both writing about the same player and the same team at the same point in history. the same events.

how the hell could borges' write anything different than sando?

please explain?

6. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

No two people could ever independently write such similarly worded and structured chronologies. They either both copied from the same source, or one copied from the other. There is no other explanation.

7. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Wasn't there an anti-Rob Borges web site? Had to do with all his transgressions ranging from his Patriots coverage to boxing stories. I remember reading it a couple years back and thinking, "How is this guy still employed, let alone considered at the top of his profession?" Of course, the site was geared to get people to think that way, but the stuff was pretty daming.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Sorry, Henry. There might be an agenda on the other's part. But this is more than the same facts. Please.

9. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Who are these people of whom you speak? It's not like the Patricia Smith and Mike Barnicle episodes have been forgotten by people within the industry.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sorry, Henry. This is way worse than recounting a similar chronology of events.

This was straight-up lifted from one story and put into another. A writer has no business doing that and putting his name on the work.

11. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

You sound an awful lot like a Borges apologist to me.
    Reading the two columns together, it's clear that this was cut and paste.
    That's not journalism. It's plagirism. Plain and simple. And Borges should pay the price for it.

12. busuncle

busuncle Member

"We are aware of the complaint and we are looking into it," said Joe Sullivan, Globe assistant managing editor/sports. "Someone pointed it out to me and we are looking into it."

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003553817

Draft saved Draft deleted