1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ron Artest and culture

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jul 31, 2008.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The MVP of the all star game? C'mon you can't be using that as an arguement. Having said that, Pippen was not just along for the ride, Pippen was great defensively and was the defacto point guard.

I would never argue that Jordan isn't the best to ever play but he did have a little help.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I will, and the argument is one word long:

Wilt.

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Or if you are my former SE, Elgin.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not to mention the Big O

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Big O: Averaged a triple-double.
    Wilt: The NBA changed the rules (wider FT lane) specifically to help defenses harness Wilt.

MJ is probably the greatest 2-guard ever.
    Wilt is the greatest post player ever.
    Bird the best 3/4 player, and Big O/Magic the best PGs.

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Bear in mind that my SE who said Elgin was the greatest of all-time also said Kobe isn't one of the top 50 CURRENTLY playing.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

No argument from me on Wilt.

8. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Think that one fell on deaf ears :D

[quote author=Notorious B.I.G.]
    Either you're slinging crack rock or you got a wicked jumpshot
    [/quote]

Simple message: Basketball is a way out of the streets, and it has given Ron-Ron an opportunity to get out and stay out...problem is he still wants to be a Queensbridge thug. Some learn, others don't. Unfortunately, for the talent he has, he hasn't figured it out and never will.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jordan was no johnson.

10. calibretto

calibretto Member

bill russell, 11 championships in 13 seasons. beat that.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And anyone who thinks the Big O and Wilt could've racked up the stats they did against the defenses Jordan faced in the 80s and 90s is deluding themselves.

Just watch some games from the 60s--those defenses were SO much softer and more porous than from Jordan's era it looks almost like a different game. I can't imagine what MJ would've done against those defenses.

And there's about a 3 year period from around 62-64 where that's REALLY the case. That era is like basketball's version of the steroid era in baseball--the offensive statistics just SO absurdly skewed you can't help but be suspicious of any stat records from that era. Teams were averaging around 120 ppg, shooting every few seconds, and not surprisingly, all sorts of wild ass offensive records set that seem hard to believe today.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Right, stoney. Wilt Chamberlain at 7-2, 325 pounds and far more agile than he was ever given credit for couldn't score 30 a game in the NBA of the 80s and 90s.

Draft saved Draft deleted