1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Romenesko: Bezos buys Washington Post for $250 million

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 5, 2013.

1. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

He could start by getting a Wash Post Kindle Ap, since there currently is not one.

2. JackInTheBox

JackInTheBox Member

Laughing my rear end off that anyone thinks a shift to the right politically would throw the Washington Post off the straight and narrow. Give me a break. It's a left-wing rag.

3. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Whatever the Post's politics might be, anyone who thinks it's a "rag" is moron.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Funny how you don't show any concern for that when a guy who's donated tons to liberal causes buys a paper.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

7. Anyone think this bodes well or journalism or journalists? As YF posted, Bezos isn't too concerned about the working conditions of the rank-and-file.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's a hard call. I still think most newspaper operations make much more from their actual print operation than their internet presence. Bezos comes from a big internet operation. Does he move WaPo away from print?

9. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

My God, the stupidity of the Daily Caller is baffling. I would rather read Breibart, and that's saying some shit.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes, I do. Again, if we're looking just at the delivery system, I think we're looking in the wrong place. Bezos has money to burn. A friend the other night, when we were talking about this, brought up the famous line from "Citizen Kane."

"We're losing $1 million a year."

"Well, then. At that rate, we'll run out of money in ... 60 years!"

I think the Post has to steal the national political conversation back from Politico and the Huffington Post and others. But primarily Politico. I think that's what Bezos cares about. I think the Post is a toy. I think it's a Petri dish for him. I don't think he's Sam Zell, the best recent comparison, who saw it as a business opportunity and had to try to creatively manage a lot of debt along with his purchase. Bezos wants to creatively manage content. Creatively manage journalism.

He might fail spectacularly. But I think he wants to take some chances and see what works, leveraging a name brand while it still has some cachet and talent left. This isn't someone buying Newsweek for $1.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

James B. Stewart, in the Times:

12. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Just got back from an extended vacation.

CBS Sports layoffs. Washington Post sold. Gannett layoffs. Patch layoffs.

Online. Print. It doesn't matter. There's no job security anywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted