1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stones

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jul 12, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They are

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Gimme Shelter
    Sympathy For The Devil
    Mixed Emotions
    The Last Time
    You Got Me Rockin
    Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Not the biggest Stones fan, but I'll gladly listen to just about everything on Let It Bleed and Exile on Main Street. If I had to pick one song it would probably be Paint It Black.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'm amused that Shoeless Joe and buckweaver have three of the same top 4/5.

Although it changes regularly, tonight I'll go with:

Paint It Black
    Sympathy for the Devil
    Wild Horses
    Gimme Shelter
    You Can't Always Get What You Want

And like others said, I really enjoyed Saint of Me live (and the whole "Bridges to Babylon" tour, for that matter.)

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Gimme Shelter is great. But this, my friends, is the definitive version. Played over the end credits to the movie. As the inside of the Let It Bleed album says, "This music is meant to be played loud." The bass changeover at :18 is one of the greatest things I've heard.

Raw as a motherfucker. Thank God for Mick Taylor, the greatest Stones guitar player.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

1. Jumpin' Jack Flash

2. The Last Time

3. Ruby Tuesday

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The wide stereo version of "Honky Tonk Women," played loudly, is as good as it gets, with Charlie Watts playing rollicking strip-joint drums and the saucy guitar riffs.

<i>"I laid a divorcee in New York City."</i>

The Stones have always been full of lines only they could get away with ("You make a dead man come") and instantly-recognizable riffs -- Satisfaction, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar...

Unless they have something up their sleeves at this late date, the last great Stones single was "Mixed Emotions."

<i>"Get off the fence now/You're creasing your butt."</i>

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The Stones are the better band, by leaps and bounds in my opinion, but I will concede that it's tough to overstate the clear impact that Zeppelin has on current bands like the Black Keys.

Where does Mick Jagger rank as a rock lyricist? Behind Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, maybe Bernie Taupin, and ... not too many others, right?

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Or this one:

"Black girls just wanna get fucked all night
    I just don’t have that much jam"

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

1. Tumbling Dice

2. Shattered
    3. I'm So Hot for You'
    4. Beast of Burden
    5. Get Off My Cloud

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Behind the Beatles, Stones and who else? I certainly wouldn't bitch too much about Zep being No. 4 all-time, but I think they're way better than the Stones and I love the Stones.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My guess is he was probably including Bob Dylan, i.e. an individual artist.

Draft saved Draft deleted