1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stone's Top 100 sitcoms of all-time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, May 4, 2021.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Friends at 38 is ridiculous as far as influence. The show’s responsible for a streaming war and launching HBO Max.

The Office is a top 20 show. Its better then Parks and Rec. Cosby is probably too low too, harmed by Bill being what he turned out to be

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I only just learned like a month ago that The Honeymooners were only on for one season. I mean, it was 39 episodes, which is like 3 seasons of a TV show now! LOL

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  4. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I tend to think of animation as it's own category, so #1 surprised me. I would put Seinfeld ahead of Cheers.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My one grumble is that Daria and South Park made the list, but Beavis and Butthead didn’t.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

1, Seinfeld
    1, I Love Lucy

No lower than 5, Daria

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Friends is way too low. Way.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A pretty good list as these things go. Surprised they left off "The Addams Family" though.

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Murphy Brown and Good Times were too low for their significance.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Schitts Creek at 100? Intentional assholery.

OscarMadison and qtlaw like this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You know, it's possible the authors ranked the sitcoms not in terms of their "influence" but simply on how funny they found them. IMO Murphy Brown was not that funny. Nor was How I Met Your Mother. That's just personal opinion, millions loved or at least watched both, but the authors are entitled to their opinions too.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't really see how you can have Daria and not find a place for Beavis and Butthead.
    Glad to see Newsradio crack the top 50, and The Andy Griffith Show at 14, but Friends is way too low at 38. That should be in the top 20 based on its influence and staying power alone.

Stunned that Married ... With Children didn't make the list. Yeah, it was lowbrow and its later seasons are pretty bad, but as a cultural phenomenon and the show that put the Fox Network on the map it deserves at least a pity spot somewhere in the back 50.

It also seems like they threw a handful of British/BBC shows in there just because they could. Some of them might have been good, but their presence on this list seemed a bit like Rolling Stone saying, "look at me, I'm cultured!"

Draft saved Draft deleted