1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling Stone promotion ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoCalDude, Jul 22, 2011.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Two days ago I found a copy of "Rolling Stone" in my mailbox. I thought it was mis-delivered, but it had my name in the address box and everything. I have never subscribed to this magazine and hardly ever read it.
    Puzzling.
    Today, I got an email "Order confirmation" in my inbox:

As a special bonus, your Live Nation ticket purchase included a one year subscription to Rolling Stone. We hope you are enjoying it and want to make sure you keep Rolling Stone coming. Click here to lock in huge Live Nation customer-only savings and add another year for $9.99. That's 50% off the regular subscription price!

Essentially, I get a year of "Rolling Stone" for free because I bought a couple of tickets for a concert.
    Is this news to anybody?

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They're being VERY aggressive w/sub solicitation. That's all I know.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I always wondered about stuff like that - magazines can offer free trials and subscriptions, but newspapers can't.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I got subscribed to Maxim a couple years ago because I bought something from Electronics Boutique. They've never charged my card, so I honestly don't know when the subscription runs out.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I still get National Dragster from the NHRA folks, for free, even though I haven't covered a race in a couple years. They even found my new address in another state, though I didn't tell them I moved.

6. accguy

accguy Member

I once did some freelance work for Baseball America -- wrote org reports for the team I was the backup on -- This was 15 years ago or so.

I still get Baseball America in the mail every other week. I've moved a bunch of times during that stretch and have never forwarded my address. But the thing keeps showing up. It's like the Hotel California.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Subject line had me hoping they brought back the free roach clip with a subscription.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Golf Digest and Golfworld had free year subscription cards in the latest Tiger Woods video game (The Masters).

Not quite the same as sending a sub unsolicited since you had to send in the card and had to choose just one. But it was still a free sub.

9. JR119

JR119 Member

I can confirm since same thing happened to me last summer.

I started receiving Rolling Stone w/out ordering it. I later learned it was because I bought tix through Live Nation. 1-year free subscription. Not bad.

10. dieditor

dieditor Member

I bought an iTunes card a few years back that had a Rolling Stone free 1-year subscription code. I got the magazine religiously for three years, with each issue for the last two years tagged "THIS IS YOUR LAST ISSUE!"

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I had pretty much the exact same thing happen to me with Maxim several years ago, much to the suspicion of my wife.

Draft saved Draft deleted