1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rolling my own ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, May 26, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Coins, that is. 8)

I have a buttload of quarters in a 5-gallon bottle and another buttload in a big pasta pot. About eight years' worth of savings. I have no idea how much money that is.

I looked at the Coinstar at the local supermarket and it's a ripoff — 8.9 percent — or will give me a gift card for the full amount redeemable at a partner store. My batting average on gift cards is over the Mendoza line, but not by much. My bank (the godless BofA I evidently owe my soul to) will roll them and deposit them in my account for free, but will charge me to keep the rolls.

I'd just as soon roll them myself if it weren't so much trouble. Do they sell DIY rolling machines?

2. KG

KG Active Member

They do sell DIY machines, but that would really eat into your savings. Here are a couple of cheaper alternatives.

http://www.banksupplies.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/38_1052_347/products_id/1121

http://www.banksupplies.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/38_1052_347/products_id/1123

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Take a picture. Post it here. See whose guess is the closest.

Winner gets half. :)

4. Football_Bat

Loser gets the other half. A real win-win. ;D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My credit union offers a free coinstar. There may be one in your neck of the woods that does the same.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Fabulous Poodles just got their first royalty check in 14 years and don't know why.

7. Football_Bat

Good stuff. A happier Joy Division for sure.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Why would you want to keep the rolls? Just take the coins to the bank and deposit them. Let them worry about it.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

BoA charges for counting change!?! Man, I'm glad I'm with a locally-owned bank. They do that for free if you've got an account.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Damn. I had no idea those coin tubes were $16!

If that's the case, I'd just count the shit by hand.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hell yes. Not counting change for free is big-bank absurdity.

Whenever I see someone using a Coinstar machine at a grocery store I want to scream. What a racket.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The bank will roll the coins for free. You just have to deposit them.
    It's free. You deposit the coins, you withdraw usable money.

Draft saved Draft deleted