1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roll call for House bill on housing bailing out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 8, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2008/roll301.xml
    See how your congressperson voted

In a 266-154 vote ... lawmakers approved a proposal ... to let the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) insure up to $300 billion in new loans over four years if lenders agree to reduce the mortgage principal.

To qualify, the lender would have to cut the debt to no more than 85% of a home's current appraised value. If the FHA-refinanced loans went into default, the FHA would pay the lender the remaining principal owed.

While 1.4 million loans are likely to be eligible for such a program, the Congressional Budget Office estimates such a measure would end up insuring 500,000 borrowers. The CBO estimates the FHA expansion program would cost taxpayers $1.7 billion.

Incomprehensibly stupid.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The lenders are predators.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Kevin Brady, R-The Woodlands (TX) just made my crap list.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Looking at a company like Countrywide, I guess it is clear then that the predator became the prey.

5. poindexter

Andrew Mozilo took home over $130 million in compensation and exercising of stock options in 2007. I don't think he minded being the prey. David Sambol, the CEO, only took home $10.4 million in 2007.

6. The Big Ragu

Only Mozilo matters, because he was one of the founders. And apparently the SEC and FBI are knee-deep in investigations for fraud. They also dragged him before Congress two months ago to get him on the record under oath so they can make something stick later. Seems fishy that he cashed out in the midst of a stock buyback that would boost prices, prior to the meltdown that would have stripped him of all of his net worth. Either way, a company he founded, which was sitting on top of the world, was looking at bankrutcy if BofA hadn't made what now looks like an incredibly stupid investment (they are going to end up with a worthless asset). So yeah, the predators did become the prey. In just about every way -- I'll bet anything there are going to be indictments related to the subprime meltdown. And there have been billions of dollars of wealth pissed away, this guys $140 million that everyone with a brain knows he obtained fraudulently, notwithstanding.

7. poindexter

Ragu, you seem to think that somehow Countrywide has been harmed, since they have become "the prey". I take a different view, I look at it like a ponzi scheme that's run its course. A ton of people made money, from the executives, to the loan officers to the appraisers. Heck, I have a friend who worked a mid-high level accounting position at Fremont. He got a one year bonus for staying on last year, when their troubles started. A one year bonus (at mid-$100,000 salary) for staying on one more year and not bailing ship.

To me, it's more like a "hit it and quit it". Everybody made money, and moved on. Sure, Mozilo will have to be paraded in front of congress a couple times, and spend a couple million in attorney's fees. Call me if he serves a day behind bars. I'm voting no.

8. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

Yes, they force people to sign mortgages at gunpoint. Bastards.

9. The Big Ragu

Well, Countrywide has certainly been harmed. At least BofA was for buying it, because it is a near worthless asset. That was my only point. A whole industry went poof. The predators did become the prey. Not sure how anyone can not agree with that.

The subprime lending market was like a ponzi scheme in a lot of ways. It was predicated on assets that didn't exist. They were extending credit to people without the assets to justify those loans. And it came crashing down hard.

I have no idea what is going to happen to Mozilo, but he is being investigated by the FBI. I actually think he is in deep doo doo, but we'll see.

Whatever happens to him, I make a big distinction between fraud and outright larceny -- and everyone knows this guy is a slimeball -- and the underlying reasons the housing market fell apart. Those appraisers and mortgage brokers and real estate brokers --and your friend -- rode a bubble based on a fallacy. They weren't trying to defraud people. They were along for a ride.

Boosting a stock price and cashing out when you know it is about to lose most of its value, based on insider information, is illegal and fraudulent. There is a huge difference between Andrew Mozilo and a mortgage broker who had a good run for a few years.

10. poindexter

Ragu, we are in agreement on most of this, but I disagree with They weren't trying to defraud people.

Everybody involved with "stated income" loans (liar loans) were absolutely trying to defraud people. Putting down false income on "no income verification" loans, in order to obtain a loan? You'd really have to speak in yoru best lawyer-ese in order to convince me that these weren't fraudulently obtained loans.

And the work done by many appraisers comes very close to the definition of fraud as well.

11. poindexter

In case you are wondering what types of homes are being bailed out by the "yes" votes in this bill, take a look at this list of newly foreclosed loans in los angeles. Pay particular attention to the prior sale price, and date.

http://www.latimes.com/classified/realestate/news/la-re-foreclosed9-2008may09.pg,0,6015640.photogallery

My favorite:
    [​IMG]

Sold for $449,000 in August 2006 in La Puente, an absolute dump of a town.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. The Big Ragu

poin, Not a lawyer, so I can't do that. But unless you walk in lying about your income, and sign your name to it, there is no loan.

Those people weren't defrauded.

Draft saved Draft deleted