1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roethlisberger in motorcycle accident?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Jun 12, 2006.

1. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I finally clicked on the link. The graphic doesn't get me so much as what's noted later in the story:

Jones said Roethlisberger, 24, has been transferred from the recovery room to an undisclosed unit at Mercy. Before addressing media, Jones said Roethlisberger was awake, alert, oriented and resting with his family.

Members of Roethlisberger's immediate family are his father, Ken; his stepmother Brenda; and his sister Carlee, who will be a senior at Findlay High School in Findlay, Ohio. Roethlisberger's mother, Ida, was killed in a car accident when he was 8 years old.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That struck me too (see earlier post). I now find him to be a bigger idiot than I did earlier because of it.

3. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06165/698251-100.stm

The sun can come up tomorrow in Pittsburgh. Roethliswhigger will be leaving the hospital tomorrow.

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

my bad, SC! :D

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I wasn't trying to call you out. Just glad somebody else noticed that throwaway line in the story.

Again, I like the man as an athlete, but he's an idiot.

6. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Naw, just saying that I was redundant. My fault! But definitely, that jumped out at me about Ben's mom.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

for what it's worth:

JOE MONTANA TELLS TONY BRUNO ON

SPORTING NEWS RADIO BEN ROETHLISBERGER

WILL HAVE A TOUGH ROAD BACK

Chicago, IL – Pro Football Hall of Famer Joe Montana was a guest on the Tony Bruno Show on Sporting News Radio today. Montana commented on the injuries to Pittsburgh Steelers’ quarterback Ben Roethlisberger resulting from a motorcycle accident on Monday.

The Tony Bruno Show airs 9am-1pm ET nationwide on Sporting News Radio. When using any of the excerpts below please credit The Tony Bruno Show and Sporting News Radio.

Joe Montana on Ben Roethlisberger’s injury

“It is severe, he’s going to have a tough road to get back there. But, you just wonder how many accidents does it take before guys start to realize that they’re really jeopardizing their career that they’ve worked so hard, from being so young, to having a dream come true for him last year, and then all of a sudden now, will he ever make it back? Everyone says he’ll be fine, but will he ever make it back and will he be able to play at that same level? You just don’t know how this thing is affecting him. You just keep trying to say, ‘Hey, when your career is over, you’ll have plenty of time to ride all the motorcycles you want without having the same type of responsibility.’ (Joe’s wife) Jen has a great point that she talks about – you’re also teaching kids to do the right thing that are looking up to you. So there’s a responsibility. It’s just tough. You wish that some guys would start looking up and saying, ‘Well, here’s three or four (accidents) in the last few years. I think I’ll just wait and just finish out my life’s dream – then I can do whatever I want.’ ”

8. Someone please fill me in on this, but what does Montana know about returning to football from multiple facial fractures and contusions? I'm not being a smart ass, just wondering.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Montana came back from two major injuries against the Giants. But I don't think he ever had his teeth knocked out and skull fractured.

So... was the crushed eye socket first-day fiction?

10. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Looks like Ben's been released from the hospital - just saw it on ESPN.

11. I'll start breathing easier once I see him on the practice field.

12. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Won't all of Pittsburgh? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted