1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roethlisberger: "He was raised with old-fashioned, middle-America values."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Apr 19, 2010.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

To quote the great Fabulous Thunderbirds song:

"How do you spell love? M-O-N-E-Y..."

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Add a flag decal in your window and you're pretty much the walking, talking definition of old-fashioned, middle-American values.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Drive a Chevy, eat at Dairy Queen and you are a member for life.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Example?

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

One of my good friends went to Miami and used to play pickup basketball with Ben and said all of the same things ... that the dude was golden, had little in the way of ego, etc. And that's honestly why he became a Steelers fan when Ben got into the league, because he wanted to follow and root for him. Even he's questioning that now ...

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I meant a specific value that's not held elsewhere. Thrift? Modesty? Bravery?

7. Boom_70

they only exist in John Cougar Mellencamp's mind

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the doors in Chicago aren't all unlocked. Or St. Louis.

Pretty sure too, that bakers and fisherman get up before farmers, and work with bare hands. And that a twenty hour workday is a twenty hour workday whether you're in a field east of Moline or a bodega in Liberty City or the Bronx.

Values unique to the midwest?

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Midwesterners have other things to worry about, like meth lab explosions.

Every place has its good and bad. Nicest guy I dated in college was from Alaska, so I was kind of predisposed to think Alaskan guys were nice. That piece of shit Levi Johnston put the kibosh on that notion, didn't he?

I've said many times here one of my favorite stories I've ever done is when my East Coast self was covering a game in Kansas City. My photographer and I decided to rent a car and drive 3 hours west into Kansas. We stopped in a random town and just started talking to people.

The overwhelming majority of people expressed to us, "I just wanna get the hell out of here."

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Even in the best parts of Chicago, people lock their doors.

Your post has provided a good laugh because I'm trying to picture a baker bailing hay or digging post holes.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'll try to picture a farmer shouldering a 100lb bag of flour, or kneading enough dough by hand to make 2400 rolls.

12. Boom_70

Or a bag of fertilizer on his way to make a bomb.

Draft saved Draft deleted