1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roethlisberger coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JLawson, Jul 22, 2009.

1. JLawson

JLawson Member

The NYDN ran a story about how the two Pittsburgh papers have covered the Roethlisberger case so far.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003996073

I think it's interesting that both elected to redact her name. I understand in criminal proceedings that you shouldn't publish the names of rape victims, but this is a civil suit. The AP didn't run the name either. What's your take on running her name?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Do we need a THIRD thread on this? Really?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You must work for ESPN

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Ha! Nice.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. spnited

spnited Active Member

We need all these threads to make up for ESPN not reporting it

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm going to play the race card on this one. Would it have been reported if it was Charlie Batch instead of Roethlisberger?

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Who's Charlie Batch?

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Skin color not a factor on this one, either way. No one cares about Charlie Batch, who's two SB rings shy of Ben and counting. But yeah, that would be reported, too, but on a smaller scale.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

We did the preposterous race thing on the original thread on sports&news ... move on.

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

If we name victims of home invasions, muggings, shootings, drunk drivers, etc., then why shouldn't rape victims be named, especially in a day and age where a good portion of them are bogus from the start?

Let me put it to you another way---if a family suffers a home invasion and the father suffers the horrible indignity of being overpowered and tied up and perhaps beaten in front of his wife and kids, that he is any less entitled to absolute privacy than a rape victim, when there's nothing stopping anyone claiming to be the latter from filing a frivolous suit and ruining someone's life?

Privacy issues? OK, but do you think a mugging victim or home-invasion victim is owed any less privacy after what has been done to them??

Let me make one thing clear---I am NOT for splashing an alleged rape victim's name all over the media. But it is absolutely not fair to sports notables such as Kobe and Ben to get their name plastered all over kingdom come when there should be a presumed innocence in this country. Yes, I know all about public figures not getting the same level of privacy protection simply becasue of the legal definition of "public figure," but it still isn't right for the other party in this case to be unconditionally able to hide behind the no-naming-of-rape-victim policy.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I believe AP originally named the plaintiff in the case before pulling it in later writethrus.

12. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Actually, no, both Batch and Roethlisberger have two Super Bowl rings.

Draft saved Draft deleted