1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rodney King just got shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Nov 29, 2007.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Has ESPN confirmed this?

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

No, they broke the story.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Rachel Nichols is planning to report from the corner of 5th and Meridian tonight at 11:30. Wish her luck.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

[​IMG]

Where the white women at?

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Maybe he was coming back from the Wigwam Motel, which is only a block from the shooting.

6. Why should Rodney King's past have any place in this current story?

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Weird thing is, I used to play fast-pitch softball not too far from there.

Anything between Rialto and I-215 is nuts.

You couldn't buy me a house in San "Nothing to do but drugs" Bernardino again.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Come on. Muscoy is quite nice. So is the vicinity of Base Line and Mount Vernon.

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

Riding a bike on West 5th Street at night? Why don't you put a target on your spokes? It would be surprising if in 20 years the federal government doesn't take over San Bernardino in some form of eminent domain.

10. joe

joe Active Member

Almost as safe as outside the old office. Yikes.

11. HandsomeHarley

Muscoy, like the corner of Baseline and Mount Vernon, both fall in that "West of I-215" line.

Our softball fields were in the shittiest parts of town. One, just off Mount Vernon and Fifth, I wouldn't stop unless there was at least an umpire there -- I would just drive around and around until someone else showed up.

Another one, on 5th near Rialto, our third-base coach was jumped by a couple of eses because the coach's box was too close to the sidewalk on 5th. I remember coaching first and running across the field yelling for help.

During a game I wasn't at, the story goes of a black Trans-Am cutting from left field to the first-base "dugout" as gunfire sprayed the field.

Damn good times (though I'd just as soon not have to go through them again).

12. HandsomeHarley

BTW, Muscoy is where my little 10-year-old friend was killed by a drunken driver.

We all belonged to a "Rocky Horror" group and had just left Denny's in Riverside at 3 a.m. for the ride back to San Berdoo. Dad left early with little Shannon on the back of his motorcycle.

They stopped to help because a wheel fell off a car on Cajon Blvd. While Dad was helping, Shannon was standing on the shoulder with the bike when this assfuck tried passing on the right shoulder, knocking Shannon 75 feet away.

They said the only reason he had to stop was because the bike was stuck under the car. They also said he laughed about it in jail, the son of a bitch.

That was in April, 1983. A month later, I was homeless.

Not so good times.

Draft saved Draft deleted