1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rocky Mountain News "tweets" dead boy's funeral, now (thankfully) being savaged

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jersey_Guy, Sep 11, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Could be true; but she wouldn't end up with the paper. Just a tiny piece of it.

2. jps

jps Active Member

fair enough.

guess I'd skip the courts and just go straight to physical violence, still.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What part of doing more with less don't you understand?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You can't have a soul and cover a child's funeral like that.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

RMN_Berny: i leave unemployed
    Thursday, Sep 11, 1:44 p.m.
    RMN_Berny: door slams
    Thursday, Sep 11, 1:32 p.m.
    RMN_Berny: "send the web guy in"
    Thursday, Sep 11, 1:31 p.m.
    RMN_Berny: more yelling
    Thursday, Sep 11, 1:28 p.m.
    RMN_Berny: more yelling
    Thursday, Sep 11, 1:22 p.m.
    RMN_Berny: yelling begins.
    Thursday, Sep 11, 1:20 p.m.
    RMN_Berny: I walk into ME's office
    Thursday, Sep 11, 1, 10:18 p.m.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Classic!

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

RMN_Berny: Come back to clean out my desk, people still yelling
    Thursday, Sep 11, 11:46 p.m.

RMN_Berny: Yelling continues
    Thursday, Sep 11, 1:46 p.m.

8. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

What really got me is just how...facking stupid the Twitter was. Coffin put in ground. Rabbi talking. People sad. Wow, you mean shit that goes on at a funeral went on a funeral? Epic.

I'd like to see Twitter used from, say, a Presidential debate, with neat little nuggets you wouldn't necessarily get in the story. ("McCain, when asked about foreign policy, always adjusts his tie.") But giving some half-hearted rundown of a funeral? Who does that benefit, really?

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If the Twitterer would have used words that helped convey the feeling of the funeral (describe what is going on, how is the family grieving for example), I could see its value. Unfortunately, we live in a generation where people think that we have only 140 characters in which to express ourselves.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The best question to ask the editors is: Who the fuck do they think is out there needing minute-by-minute updates on a story like this?

"Can you guys hang on a second? I'm not ready to order food yet. I really want to know what happens next. I just got a Twitter update on my BlackBerry that they threw dirt on the little boy's coffin. I'm twitching with anticipation to find out what happens now. I literally cannot wait to find out, thus, the BlackBerry."

11. This is absolutely shocking and tasteless. When I first began reading this thread I thought it was some sort of joke. Honest, I thought it was a joke only to realize this "twitter" or "tweeter" or whatever the fuck thing had been used to cover this kid's funeral like a fucking news ticker scrolling off stock market quotes.

That is one of the most disgusting and absurd attempts at new media and journalism I have ever come across. And that dumb fuck for the Fayetteville Observer who thinks this is all wonderful and perfect has no fucking clue what life and death are about. He is a stupid-ass 20-something year-old punk who is so detached from the situation he couldn't give a rat's shit about anyone involved.

This is fucking morbid and takes journalism and newspapers to the newest lows of lows.

Whoever is in charge of this and made this assignment should be terminated immediately. No excuses. The reporter should be fired as well.

I want to throw up.

12. should the reporter be fired for following marching orders? i have an issue with that. sure, it was stupid, but the higher-ups are the ones who came up with this stupid idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted