1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rocky Mountain News for sale

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's for the paper's funeral. The RMN only twitters at funerals.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll throw in $500 if Tracy will let me wear his hat.

For the record, I love this paper. I hope nothing happens to it.

3. VJ

VJ Member

I've always liked the bits and pieces I've seen of their sports section.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If someone doesn't buy the paper and it folds, who will twitter at the funeral?
    (Yeah ... BOOO!!!)

RMN is better than the Denver Post. Only thing the Post really has going for it is the chance of better presentation because it's broadsheet every day instead of only the weekends. Some of the full-page photo attempt I saw in tab format were pretty bad.

But Scripps-Howard couldn't care less about its publications, hence this not being any real surprise.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

This news pisses me off. The RMN is a paper I grew up on and have ALWAYS preferred it to the Post.

I have friends at the RMN, too, including one who is currently on vacation and now has to spend it thinking about his future in the biz. I wish everyone at the RMN well and hope for the best.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Ridiculous. A paper with a 210K daily circ., and a 400K+ weekend circ, in a reasonably healthy JOA should not have the plug pulled -- and don't fool yourself, this is exactly what Scripps intends.

Fuckabuncha corporate assholes. I've said it before, and will say it again: Ever since TV-centered dolt Ken Lowe took over Scripps, EVERYTHING has been all about HGTV and the Food Network for that company. It's bad crack in the schoolyard for house-fraus. The split earlier this year was only done so Scripps can kill off its newspapers without harming the market value of its TV whoring.

Shameful.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

A couple of reax links:
    http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2008/12/early_reaction_to_news_that_th.php

and

http://newsosaur.blogspot.com/2008/12/outlook-is-rocky-for-rocky.html
    , which includes this bit of gallows humor:

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Needless to say a rough day out here.
    Lots of questions and very few answers.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Good lord, I can't even imagine. Hang in there, Mile.

10. Optimus Subprime

Optimus Subprime New Member

What a shame. I did an internship there last summer, and when I went in to interview in the spring of 07, their brand new newsroom was bustling. Very busy, very full.

When my actual internship started a few months later, half of the newsroom was empty and was being used to store office furniture.

Here's hoping everything turns out OK for the people working there.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Dean Singleton reacts.

http://media.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/content/static/SingletonMemo.pdf

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Scripps, killing newspapers since 2005...

Draft saved Draft deleted